• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under Pressure

You want to have your coolant basic (pH >7) and phenolphthalein will be pink in this pH (if there's enough in there to see once it's diluted with water). When it gets acidic (pH <7), phenolphthalein turns clear. Low pH coolant (<8) means corrosion in your engine.

Looks like it's good. The kit I have only goes to 7.6

Before adding test solution.
20171015_185607.jpg

After
20171015_184928.jpg

Pops will never lose it! I wake up every morning salivating for another post!

Looks like it's good. The kit I have only goes to 7.6

Before adding test solution.
View attachment 527882

After
View attachment 527883

Yep, your pH is fine (not acidic).....are you still getting the pressure build up after you shut it down? That is very strange unless "maybe" you have some hot spots in the block that boils the water.... but I'd think that would bleed off by the next day..... odd.

I loosened the cap after my last reply on here. I only started it up and moved the car once since then. Just for fun, I just tightened the cap today. The car is bone cold so we'll see if any pressure develops.

The Cool It has no smell by itself. I used distilled water with it in the system. If I smell what's in the radiator, it smells like rubber. Just like a new tire would smell. Has me thinking about your "urban legend" you mentioned. I'll report back in a day as to it building pressure again. I'm going to drain and flush the system to replace it with antifreeze real soon.

After reading all of these antifreeze threads, I'm still trying to figure out what "origanal antifreeze" is. What brand and what's labeled on the container to verify if you have the right stuff.

I did here about sodium nitrite doing some weird reaction with sulfur or something (?) that was used in some radiator hoses, but that could be urban legend...just what I heard.

Personally I'll be waiting for an update tomorrow, this is very weird. I opened mine up the other day just to check & no pressure, ummmm? Pennsylvania air?lol.

Well it's been twenty four hrs, took the cap off and there was a very small amount of pressure, hardly any at all. So whatever it was reacting with must be neutralized. :realcrazy:

I loosened the cap after my last reply on here. I only started it up and moved the car once since then. Just for fun, I just tightened the cap today. The car is bone cold so we'll see if any pressure develops.

The Cool It has no smell by itself. I used distilled water with it in the system. If I smell what's in the radiator, it smells like rubber. Just like a new tire would smell. Has me thinking about your "urban legend" you mentioned. I'll report back in a day as to it building pressure again. I'm going to drain and flush the system to replace it with antifreeze real soon.

After reading all of these antifreeze threads, I'm still trying to figure out what "origanal antifreeze" is. What brand and what's labeled on the container to verify if you have the right stuff.

Don't quote me on this, but I "think" our Mopars originally used a phosphate green anti-freeze called "Peak GREEN" which you can still get, but it's hard to find. The newer Peak Long Life (which has green dye in it) is actually DexCool. Both work just fine, but I don't recommend mixing anti-freezes...the color is JUST dye...think food coloring... and doesn't mean a thing anymore.... green-colored antifreeze of one brand doesn't necessarily mix with a different brand of green-colored antifreeze.

I'm not sure what your "rubber smell" is????

Auto Transport Service
Back