• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Updating Electronic Ignition

darc1722

Local time
1:05 AM
Reaction score
I have a 69 Roadrunner 383 that I would like to update the engine wiring harness and electronic ignition module. Can someone help with the correct wiring harness from year one, is it HU197BM? Also, is there an updated Electronic Ignition Module that will work with this, without replacing the electronic ignition distributor? Here's what's in the car now, thanks.

IMG_2021.JPG IMG_2022.JPG

Usually the original Mopar dist system for electronic ign works with ANY elect ign system. All elect systems works basically the same, being a magnetic trigger for any ECU system, from stock up to Multispark systems

You biggest problem is getting a Chrysler style ECU that isn't junk.
You won't find one at your auto parts store.

There is the GM HEI module conversion debate.
There are somethings about that I don't like.

I went the FBO unit because

1. It is a well made product and works good
2. I wanted 4 pin plug and play.
3. I'm supporting "the hobby" sort of.

I am very pleased with it.
I am running it on my daily driver.
Over 70 miles a day.
I don't like "failures" in traffic.
I will probably get around to putting it on all my cars.
It will work good with your stock distributor.
No worries.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221759869530?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Ignition.html
HRR688C.jpg

Last edited:
Several options on good quality side for stock system ( including ballast ) not needing to be the MP pieces ( orange or chromed ) which have being getting quality issues latelly. I think they are being discontinued in fact.

From low to high prices
-Filko CH500 units being sold on ebay. I think this is the new name given to an old brand called Cobra which was a GREAT unit ( i got one of the old Cobras one looong time ago and was amazing for a stock car )
-Standard LX100 and LX101 unit beng sold on any parts dealer.
-Hi Rev 7500 being sold by Rick Erehnberg on eBay, claimmed to be similar to the Chromed MP ( althought a friend of mine got one failed, but I have one which is my trunk spare and worked nice when I run it )
-Rev-N-Nator ( the one I'm running )

Summit is selling "their own" ones, but dunno about them. Some other are selling kits pretty much similar to the old MP kits.

You could go with an MSD box and leave the old components on the firewall if you are looking for a stock look.

You'd better upgrade your Charging system or you'll have problems. Just sayin!
Early Charging System modified for use with a 70 style VR

There are a number of reasons one might want to upgrade a pre-1970 system to a transistorized voltage regulator. The list of reason include

• Chrysler recommends you switch to a transistorized VR if you upgrade to an electronic ignition from a points style ignition.
  • If you have to buy a new voltage regulator, the difference in cost is only about $5-10 more for the transistorized unit. Not to mention, the quality of replacement early style VR's is spotty.
  • The transistorized VR will have a longer life.
Below is a diagram describing how to install a 70 and later Voltage Regulator on a sixties mopar.

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Electrical/charging.htm

Auto Transport Service
Back