• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve body ?

hillbillyGTX

Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
Hi y'all I have a question, my 67 GTX 440 with a 1969 727 TF had a reverse manual valve body and worked great. I decided I wanted to make the car a little more street friendly and installed a auto valve body that I got from a friend with a shift kit installed. After installation a drove the car about 20 miles, then it lost reverse gear and will move forward somewhat(slips and then catches). So my question is could installing the wrong year model valve body cause this quick failure? I did not check the year model of the valve body, also it was full of fluid and checked in neutral before the drive. Thanks Casey

Did you install throttle pressure linkage? Also know as kickdown linkage?

Sometimes people take the guys out of the governor assembly and remove kickdown linkage when installing a manual valve body. This stuff has to be present for a full automatic valve body to work.

Sometimes people take the guys out of the governor assembly and remove kickdown linkage when installing a manual valve body. This stuff has to be present for a full automatic valve body to work.
Yes, I checked and the complete governor was there. Thanks

Different components are being applied in R and forward gears. What else was disasembled? A pressure test would be a good idea. I'd look to see if the valve body screws are tight. And if the valve body bolts are tight. As long as it isn't a lock up valve body any year should function. Did you clean and check the valve body prior to install for stuck valves, corosion and cracks?
Doug

Last edited:
Differentcomponents being applied in R and forward gears. What else was disasembled? A pressure test would be a good idea. I'd look to see if the valve body screws are tight. And if the valve body bolts are tight. As long as it isn't a lock up valve body any year should function. Did you cean and check the valve body prior to install for stuck valves, corosion and cracks?
Doug
All the bolts were torqued. Thanks you answered my question about the VB year model compatibility. I plan on rebuilding the trans anyway, and just did not want to use the wrong VB! Thanks!

I would say something is wrong with the vb u have in there. Even with no kick down/throttle pressure hooked up it shouldn’t have fried the tranny that quick. What procedure did u use to set the bands? Did it seem to shift good? Or did it seem like something was dragging?

I would say something is wrong with the vb u have in there. Even with no kick down/throttle pressure hooked up it shouldn’t have fried the tranny that quick. What procedure did u use to set the bands? Did it seem to shift good? Or did it seem like something was dragging?
I torqued them to 72 inch pounds and backed off 2 rounds best I remember ( I followed the instructions I found on line). I did feel a little drag every now and then. Thanks

I would definately recommend a pressure test before disassembly. If both cluches and posiibly a band failed all at once? There is a reason. Most likely low pressure.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back