• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vehical won't shut off with key

joseph44

Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
Hi Everyone new here 1st mopar . I purchased a 73 satilite clone r r satilte r r barn find Question: The car stays hot to shut down I remove the hot battery cable,I replaced the starter relay no help, I was told the ignition switch was bad replaced no help. The only thing I can come up with is wiring from starter to to starter relay. By chance does anyone have a schematic for wiring from starter to starter relay? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

Do you mean the car continues to run after key is turned off. I don't mean dieseling.

Ballast or coil or related wiring is being feeded straight from batt/alt. It can be anywhere into the wiring system, from inside the cab up to engine harness.

It can be either a wiring "short" ( melted wires making contact with the charging system wiring ) or some jumper wire around made for emergency.

My bid is on bulkhead... melted wires and bulkhead ( very common Mopar failure ) made contact between them. Specifically alt black wire and blue run circuit.

Starter relay has nothing to do with ignition. Just wired to crank engine. Even getting a short wouldn't feed the ignition system, just keeping cranking the starter motor

Ballast or coil or related wiring is being feeded straight from batt/alt. It can be anywhere into the wiring system, from inside the cab up to engine harness.

It can be either a wiring "short" ( melted wires making contact with the charging system wiring ) or some jumper wire around made for emergency.

My bid is on bulkhead... melted wires and bulkhead ( very common Mopar failure ) made contact between them. Specifically alt black wire and blue run circuit.
Indeed. As long as the ignition circuit gets juice, whatever way, it's active.

Auto Transport Service
Back