• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vinyl top vs non vinyl top question

cheetah400m

Local time
6:47 PM
Reaction score
A friend is restoring a 66 satellite and wants to install a vinyl top. His car currently does not have one. Are the drip rail moldings different between a vinyl top car and a non-vinyl top car? I told him I would ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited:
on 71 Plymouth /dodge drip rail moldings our bigger sort because of vinyl top

I am going through this right now. 68-70 shows different part numbers from the factory, but some aftermarket ones claim theirs will fit both............................MO

I am going through this right now. 68-70 shows different part numbers from the factory, but some aftermarket ones claim theirs will fit both............................MO

Maybe because the Legendary ones are cut to fit and the factory ones where more closely trimmed?

It's his car, obviously he can do what he wants, but i would never NEVER put a vinyl top on any car that didn't have one and need a new one to cover rust damage. If he just wants a different color roof use paint. It's more distinctive and less dangerous to long-term health of the car. Vinyl tops are a boil on the *** of the car restoration community. (My opinion only).

Gloss wrinkle paint? Like to know how it works out. Cleaning would be my biggest question mark.

No Fran, just regular paint of a different color, like 50s vintage two-tones. I like two-tones much better than self-destructive vinyl.

No Fran, i meant regular paint of a different color, like 50s two-tones. I like two-tones much better than self-destructive vinyl.

drip rail stainless is different 68 charger for vinyl and without vinyl for allowance of the vinyl thickness

Maybe because the Legendary ones are cut to fit and the factory ones where more closely trimmed?
I read an old thread where a guy compared the sizes of the stock with vinyl, stock without vinyl, and the AMD ones which are claimed to fit both. My bet is that the AMD has a little more bow to them which might allow for the different widths......................MO

It's his car, obviously he can do what he wants, but i would never NEVER put a vinyl top on any car that didn't have one and need a new one to cover rust damage. If he just wants a different color roof use paint. It's more distinctive and less dangerous to long-term health of the car. Vinyl tops are a boil on the *** of the car restoration community. (My opinion only).
I am tempted to tell you what I think of your opinion, but in the interests of keeping harmony on this website, I will refrain. You may want to consider doing the same..........................MO

Cover rust damage??? Wouldnt the right way be to fix the rust damage first??

As far as long term health of the automobile these cars live a very pampered life once completed compared to back in the days when they were everyday cars. I dont think thats much of an issue anymore especially with a fresh coat of paint/sealer on the metal underneath.

I like the look with and without the vinyl top and have seen a couple cars with the painted roof option from the factory. My favorite?? I dunno.....

I didn't mean to just re-cover over rust damage. Fix it properly, which I understand isn't inexpensive, then cover. I realize these cars now are treated much better than when they were new, and new vinyl will probably last much longer, i was just referring to the work necessary to fix the mess underneath most old tops. And cornpatch, i get that you probably disagree, thats fine, tell what you think, i try to have a thick skin.and everybody is entitled to an opinion. I just offered mine,invited to do so by the title of the post.

I have put many tops on non original top cars. I even put one on my new style Challenger. The drip rail moldings will work, it is just a little bit harder to get them on.

image.jpg

I didn't mean to just re-cover over rust damage. Fix it properly, which I understand isn't inexpensive, then cover. I realize these cars now are treated much better than when they were new, and new vinyl will probably last much longer, i was just referring to the work necessary to fix the mess underneath most old tops. And cornpatch, i get that you probably disagree, thats fine, tell what you think, i try to have a thick skin.and everybody is entitled to an opinion. I just offered mine,invited to do so by the title of the post.
You may not realize it, but your comment about "vinyl tops being a boil on the *** of the car restoration community" was a harsh put down of myself and all the other people that like vinyl tops. Like we are stupid and you are the smart one. When these cars were new, it was a popular option that set them apart from the usual. It's a matter of personal taste--what would you think if I said " plain roofs look cheap and have no style"? Not much, is my bet.................................MO

I also put a top on this 66 Chrysler 300 that was not an original vinyl top car. I used the same drip rail moldings and worked out fine. You just have to take your time and resist the urge to use a hammer. LOL.

image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back