• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Viper T56 mini starter options.

747mopar

Local time
8:12 PM
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread hoping someone out there has found a mini starter that will work with the Quicktime RM8073 bellhousing. The papers that came with it clearly state use OEM starter, after 2 summers I think my headers have cooked it so the hunt is on.

The problem is that they've moved the starter slightly closer to the block. If you were to lay a mini and an OE flat on the floor you'll quickly notice that even being as big as it is the OE has more wiggle room facing the block.

Just what I was affraid of lol. Looks like I'll be doing some test fitting, I guess the best approach will be to make a pattern of what will fit and make a trip to Summit.

What about a heat shield of some sort? I was also thinking about this last night... I need to find the name and I don't know the half-life but there's a product that the plumbers I work with sometimes use when they are brazing that is a spray on heat shield. Goes on like a coat of paint with very minimal heat transfer.. I'm going to try and get the name

I used an off the shelf 1989 dodge ram 360 starter for my 440 W/T56. Works great.
Was your T56 a Viper tranny? I think there's a difference because of Viper tranny splines, possibly smaller flywheel meaning the starter is moved in. I tried my Summit mini starter which I believe is just a modern starter as you stated and it wouldn't fit.

What about a heat shield of some sort? I was also thinking about this last night... I need to find the name and I don't know the half-life but there's a product that the plumbers I work with sometimes use when they are brazing that is a spray on heat shield. Goes on like a coat of paint with very minimal heat transfer.. I'm going to try and get the name
I really like the way the mini cranks the motor in comparison to the OEM although there are aftermarket high torque starters in the same configuration as the OEM so that's another option.

2004 viper trans, quick time bell, 440 source 130 tooth flywheel
Awesome, looks like I've got something to try. Thanks, I'll let you know if it works.

Great!

I hope it works out for you. Who can argue with a LIFETIME warranty. I put one of those starters on my '66 300 with a 383 and it rolls over way faster than the old gear reduction POS that came on the car. The Charger starts just as fast.

I picked up a starter from the local auto parts store for an 89 360 truck and no go. It's definitely a mini but you saying it works on yours tells me my block must have more meat in the starter opening. Do you have the bushing in the top starter hole? My Quicktime bellhousing came tapped for 3/8" starter bolts with a bushing to adapt the top hole down to 3/8", not having it in would allow it to fit but throw off the tooth engagement. It's close enough to fitting that I might just take a die grinder to the block, it needs maybe an 1/8" taken out of the center of the starter pocket.

All I know is we're showing 60 degree weather here in Ohio for the next week so it's getting fixed now! Lol

Great!

I hope it works out for you. Who can argue with a LIFETIME warranty. I put one of those starters on my '66 300 with a 383 and it rolls over way faster than the old gear reduction POS that came on the car. The Charger starts just as fast.
Just wanted to say thanks for the tip it worked. This is basically the same mini that I had before except the other was a Summit brand starter but you telling me it worked for you lead me to looking into why it wouldn't work on mine. Turned out it was just a bunch of unnecessary casting flash on my block, spent about 1 minute with a die grinder and a small grinding wheel and I was done. The big problem for me is the lug location on this starter, I'll return this one and pick one up from Summit with a friendlier location. Thanks

Which starter did you end up going with? I am installing a SST T56 with QuickTime bellhousing and was curious about your lug location preference. I have a new 440 build with TTI headers and haven't picked up a starter yet.

Which starter did you end up going with? I am installing a SST T56 with QuickTime bellhousing and was curious about your lug location preference. I have a new 440 build with TTI headers and haven't picked up a starter yet.
I actually kept the one I picked up from Napa (89 360 truck), after looking at Summit it looked like the lug location is common. It's a tight fit but worked.

Auto Transport Service
Back