• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanta Be Road Runner

DWilbur

Local time
4:09 PM
Reaction score
I spent about 6 months looking for a decent Road Runner but could not find one that was not rotted or as most people call it.( Just has a little rust ). Those are the famous words. When you can see through the roof into the back seat or through the trunk pan the street below its ROT. About 2 and half week ago I found a Plymouth Satellite 1973 picked it up for $2,500. $810 for back fees and registration. I now have a driver with rotted tires and I drove it home the night I bought it about 20 miles. Last week I put new tire and wheel on it so its safe to drive. I almost forgot its gutless no power stock 318 2 barrel carb. I drove it to my Nephews shop and he put it up on the rack so I can check it out. The right quarter panel has rot in front of and behind the rear wheel as well as the roof connection and below the tail light and some rot below the left side of the rear window. The left front fender has rot in the lower part along with the right and left rocker panels and I notice the rot when I bought the car. Not to bad for a 41 year old car for $2,500. The 1974 Road Runner I looked at was way worst than the Satellite and the seller was asking $6,000.00 for it. The good thing is the trunk pan and floor pans are very clean no rust or rot. I decided to make changes to the engine first I ordered Edelbrock Performer air gap Manifold and Edelbrock 750 cfm performer carb. when the intake manifold was delivered I opened the box and read that when installing on 318 you must install 340 heads. so I called Summit and confirmed it was required. so I ended up buying Edelbrock heads 60779 that work with the intake manifold. I called my nephew and was asking him if he could make time to help me install the parts. and he mentioned that I should stroke the engine. I said it would cost to much. but curiosity got the best of me and I looked into stroking it and found a stroker kit from Hughes Engine for $2,040.00 delivered. Checking out the internet I found some builds that using the same part I bought and getting about 400hp out of the engine very cool. now I need some help with transmission based on what I have learned reading through some builds on FBBO I have a 904 transmission and 8-1/4" rear end. Would it be worth rebuilding the trans and rear end or going with something else. like 727 and 8-3/4". what do you guys think. I'm new to building car as I have owned 4 wheel drive tucks all my life. the last time I owned a car was high school. Plymouth Satlite left 10.25.14.jpgPlymouth Satlite right10.25.14.jpg

Plymouth Satlite left 10.25.14.jpg Plymouth Satlite right10.25.14.jpg

Nice find DWilbur, you will get a lot of opinions here. I would go with the 727 and 8 3/4" option because I usually get carried away when I'm out cruising around and tend to hammer on it....just my 2 cents. Good luck

Thanks for the input aldal. I'm the same way I like to get on it now and then. Pic with the new wheels and tires. 16X7 with 245x55x16 BFG's front and 18X9 rear wiht 275X40X18 BFG's

Attachments

• 73 Saterllite new wheels.jpg
    73 Saterllite new wheels.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 742
You don't need either a 727 or 8 3/4. You'd have to shorten your driveshaft, among other things. Get a good stout rebuild by a performance trans shop. The 904 is a lighter weight unit. And the 8 1/4 will do just fine as it is.

nice find. looks like a solid car. I like the slots myself.

You don't need either a 727 or 8 3/4. You'd have to shorten your driveshaft, among other things. Get a good stout rebuild by a performance trans shop. The 904 is a lighter weight unit. And the 8 1/4 will do just fine as it is.

Thanks for the info I will look into rebuilding the 904. I noticed it slipping in reverse the other day. we do have good transmission shop close buy I will call them to see what can be done to rebuild it and what is available to beef it up. I don't see much on 8-1/4" rear ends dose any one offer posi traction for them. I still have to check what gears I have.

I talked to 3 tranny shops today in my area and none of then had a clue about rebuilding A904. 2 of the shops said to use 727. so I did some research and found an ATI tranny set up for street/ strip use for $1,255.00 at Summit Racing. I also ordered oil pump, fuel pump and water pump fr m engine as well. Does anyone know where to get posi, C clip eliminator kit for 8.25 rear end.

The 727 is a stout transmission, but I am surprised that none of the shops said they could rebuild the 904. I might have looked in to shipping it to a good shop. Oh well, maybe a 727 cheap enough isn't a bad deal, you will just have to adjust the drive shaft but that shouldn't be too bad.

I don't recall the differences, but you should look up transmission mounts, kick-down linkages and speedo cables to be sure your 904 stuff will interchange.

In Mopar speak, a posi unit is called sure grip. I would check with Dr. Diff, but I am sure others can chime in with suggestions...

Good luck!

The 727 is a stout transmission, but I am surprised that none of the shops said they could rebuild the 904. I might have looked in to shipping it to a good shop. Oh well, maybe a 727 cheap enough isn't a bad deal, you will just have to adjust the drive shaft but that shouldn't be too bad.

I don't recall the differences, but you should look up transmission mounts, kick

They all could rebuild the tranny but I want it built to handle 400 HP. The tranny I ordered is 904 so no modification required to install it. The tranny is TCI not ATI.

I checked out Dr. Diff and the web site does not recommend using 8.25 rear end if you have more than 350HP. I looking at over 400HP with 318 stroked to 390. I have been looking for 8.75 rear end and in California most are asking $2,500.00 for used one. similar on Ebay. just the 3rd member is going for $900.00. Does any body have any an suggestions locating cheaper axle.

People not familiar with them often sell the 9.25 rear ends a lot cheaper than the 8.75, yet they're a good strong unit, often called the 'poor man's Dana'. Good news is that a lot of mid to late 70's b-bodies had them after the 8.75 was ended so you should find one that fits.

People not familiar with them often sell the 9.25 rear ends a lot cheaper than the 8.75, yet they're a good strong unit, often called the 'poor man's Dana'. Good news is that a lot of mid to late 70's b-bodies had them after the 8.75 was ended so you should find one that fits.

Photon 440 thanks for the info I did not know abut he 9.25 axle. I will see what I can find.

Keep an eye on junk yard as well. I got my 8 3/4 from a pick and pull, its actually a c-body rear end out of a fury so its slightly wider but i haven't had any problems yet.

I will keep looking for rear end. I dropped off my engine to be built the other day. 318 is getting stroked with Hues Engines 390 stroker kit with ARP main studs and girdle kit, Edelbrock 60779 heads with ARP head stud kit, Edel 7177 cam kit, Edel 7803 double roller timing set, Harland Sharp roller rockers 1.6 to1, Edelbrock performer RPM air gap intake, Edelbrock 750cfm Performer RPM carb, duel exhaust with Magna flow mufflers and Headman headers. I picked up my TCI A904 street fighter transmission last night at UPS. Hopefully I will be installing the engine and trans in about 3 week. 20 years ago is the last time I had a hot rod to drive can't wait to have some fun again. The only bummer is Fremont drag strip is gone. They closed down many years ago.

Before you get the stones out, you can look at a Ford Explorer 8.8. Parts are cheap and easy to get new(Summit). It cost me 1600 to install in a 66 Barracuda total and that included new 3.27 gears, new Ford Racing Posi., u-joints, aluminum drive shaft and parking brakes cables custom made to disc rear brakes.

edit: It does take some work on the shock plates and uses a 3 1/4 axle tube.

Where are you in Cal? sounds like NorCal near me. a lot of us remember Fremont Baylands raceway I was too young and by the time I came of age to start affording hot rodding it shut down :( There is a facebook page on it as well. Maybe some of us locals can help you out.

Where are you in Cal? sounds like NorCal near me. a lot of us remember Fremont Baylands raceway I was too young and by the time I came of age to start affording hot rodding it shut down :( There is a facebook page on it as well. Maybe some of us locals can help you out.

I grew up in Mountain View and live in San Jose now.

- - - Updated - - -

Before you get the stones out, you can look at a Ford Explorer 8.8. Parts are cheap and easy to get new(Summit). It cost me 1600 to install in a 66 Barracuda total and that included new 3.27 gears, new Ford Racing Posi., u-joints, aluminum drive shaft and parking brakes cables custom made to disc rear brakes.

edit: It does take some work on the shock plates and uses a 3 1/4 axle tube.

The 8.25 axel in my car is 63" from drum to drum. I think the Explorer is shorter. My nice has an Explorer I will check it out.

Auto Transport Service
Back