• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What a crazy day! Long story.

SteveSS

Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score
As you remember we bought a 1971 Chevelle station wagon a couple of weeks ago. It's had the SS treatment. New 454 tons of new parts installed and not installed. My friend Rick and I took it to a big swap meet at Denver's quarter mile track, Bandimere Speedway with the intentions of selling it and all the parts. I made a fancy sign and the whole nine yards. The gates opened at 6:00 am so I had to get up and leave the house by 4:45 a.m.

It was a little scary since my intentions were to flip this car so I didn't insure or tag it. We arrived at the track around dawn and it was fairly chilly. We were directed where to park and it just so happens we were next to a young man and woman. To say the chick was hot was an understatement. An easy 9/10. Long blonde hair and short shorts. Rick who usually doesn't comment on such things said he would consider remarrying after seeing her. We are trying to be cool but we might have been caught looking once or twice. The swap meet goes on with lots of interest in the wagon but no buyers.

I did a little shopping and found a heavy vinyl banner that said Bandimere Speedway, Thunder Mountain. It was being sold for charity and I had it autographed by Mr. John Bandimere himself. I'll give it to my son for his birthday next week. The day goes on and the meet is winding down around 1:00 p.m. We get the wagon packed and hit the MAJOR highways through Denver toward Colorado Springs.

I noticed the car started cutting out about 1/4 of the way home. By halfway we have to pull over every 5 miles to pour cold water on the electric fuel pump and wait 10 minutes. Traffic is heavy and bumper to bumper going about 15 mph. On our fourth stop we see the flashing lights behind us on the shoulder of the highway. Remember we have no tags. I'm trying to be cool while Rick explains the problem. I can't get out of the car since traffic is going by about 15" from my door.The trooper says we are causing a backup because of the Lookie-Loos. His term.

The trooper gets in front of us and leads us down the highway on the shoulder with his flashing lights on until we hit the the next exit. We let it cool down and make make it home with some minor cutting-out. We think we need a better/stronger electric fuel pump.

When I finally got home I called the CSP and left a message thanking the trooper. Whew. I'm getting tags on Monday!

Last edited:
YEP you're "Lucky you had a cool LEO",
get r' dun :lol:

great guy , serves n protects over sighting . give that trooper a thumbs up for me too .

Cops in our town are pretty cool when the city has it's car shows (several a year) We always donate for one of the city's causes. Several time I've driven non street legal cars,maybe 1 to 3 miles to the show un-capped with out nary a look. You thanking them goes a long way.

Nevermind the tags, but insure the car.
If you sell it after a month you'll get reimburse for the unused portion of the policy .
Call Hagerty or Berkeley or somebody.
My car cost $200 per year insured to 30k.

Really, not even one snapshot of the hot chick...We should remove your membership!

:xscuseless:

All joking aside that was one nice trooper and props to you calling and giving a good word!

Really, not even one snapshot of the hot chick...We should remove your membership!

:xscuseless:

All joking aside that was one nice trooper and props to you calling and giving a good word!

You beat me to it.......That's what I was going to ask!

WHEW-THAT-WAS-CLOSEqlM2O.jpg

I wanted to see pictures of the broad too. What a tease!

Cops can be cool when it's a muscle car involved, many of them are car guys too. Nice to call and thank him.

Well her boyfriend or husband was pretty damn big. They were about 25 years old. Once when I saw her alone I told her if she stood by our car for awhile it would probably sell faster. I did respect all the help she gave her boyfriend. They were selling heads and transmissions. Those are heavy to unload. We had a bunch of cold water bottles which I shared. We all ended up friends at the end of the day.

It seems like at big shows or meets there's always that one girl. We just lucked out this time.

If that was me . . . I would have gotten a ticket ( if it wasn't for BAD luck, I'd have no luck at all . . . )

This was years ago on the Hot Rod Power Tour.Springfield MO.I think it was 1997. Guys were doing water burn outs on the street. Here comes PO-PO with the lights flashing.Oh Oh busted. Cop pulls up and does his own burn out !!!.

We kind of looked like homeless people in an old car with the back of the wagon crammed full of boxes and coolers, broke down on the side of the road. Me with my long hair and cowboy hat. Rick thought is was entertaining. He took pictures of us broken down with the hood up and one of us following the CHP with it's lights flashing. I should ask him if he took any of the girl.

Auto Transport Service
Back