• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What a day!

Glenwood

Local time
5:00 AM
Reaction score
Had a 1970 440 for sale and a guy from Quebec wanted it. I was keeping it for a future project but wanted to raise some $$ for the kids civic engine replacement. I sold my sled trailer and now had the cash I needed so I changed my mind and wanted to keep the 440. Well he wanted it bad for his 70 Satty and doubled what I was asking so I agreed.
So, got it all skidded up and ready to go yesterday, waiting for the truck. At the same time...
i picked up the kids 1.8 motor which was strapped to a skid. Loaded with a fork truck and drove home. Couldn't figure out how to get it off the truck. At the same time...
Had a truck cap for sale, a guy wanted it and was driving 5 hours from Quebec to get it. Problem was the motor was in the way. I couldn't get the motor off the truck and the guy arrives for the cap. Two of us could not lift it, let alone over the motor. I found some long boards and we managed to slide it off sideways, tipping it over the motor and onto his truck. He's happy and off he goes.
Then the truck arrives for the 440. The guy has a pump truck thankfully and moves it onto his liftgate and nearly drops it off over the edge as the gate lifts up. I run to help and managed to keep the skid from tumbling off. Off he goes.
Back to the 1.8 honda motor. No lift points and the chains i have are too small for the motor mount studs. I gerryrig it and lift just high enough to drive the truck out from under it. Can't set it down though as the skid is wider than the hoist's outriggers. A few blocks and some grunt work got it onto dollies finally.
What a day! That Guinness sure tasted good.

Today I'm trying to figure out how to swap it. They look to be designed to install up into the car but i don't have a lift. Should be interesting!

What year civic....there are some models with bulletins for cracking block and loosing coolant at the cylinder block base of cylinders and one for missing wrist pin locks. Replaced one for a friend and took Honda to small claims over it for the cracked block issue and won. The dealership said the block wasn't cracked... probably didn't look at it...some techs don't want to do warranty work.. so they just lie about it. I worked as a Honda Mech. for two months and decided it wasn't for me... bunch of sissy's cryin' about wadded panties.

tsb 10-048 2006-2009 civic cracked block.
tsb 16-017 216 civic piston pin snap ring recaal(missing-not installed at factory)

2007 civic blew the head gasket and warped the head beyond repair. It's almost out. Just popped the axles out and removed the harness.

I have had a day too...
Woke up to find the car keys on the counter..looked out and see my daughter took my truck to school that i needed for the day...what the heck?? Go to pour a cup of coffee to wake up and find a note that says car wouldnt start...great. Head outside and decide to mow the lawn quick before i get busy with harvest this week. Flat tire on the lawn mower...great!! Take care of that and get the mowing done. Hop on the 4 wheeler to head to the other farm...flat tire on that too...great!! Pull the nail and plug the tire but decide i should run over and pick up a check from a guy and get it to the bank today. While i am there i look at my combine stored there that needs a water pump. Just a quick look to see if i need to bring any speacial tools. Racoon decided to use the top of the 3208 Cat as his shitter all year as it is completely covered in coon ****...great!! Stop by the house and grab the check i needed and go. Get to the bank and there are 2 different amounts on the check....great!! Honest mistake so run back and get a different check run back to the bank and they are now closed...great!! I give up and come home and wander around the shed dusting off cars and do a little dreaming...
Some days it dont pay to get up...

Yeah but it might have blown the head gasket due to the cracked block,,,,, check the base of the cylinders at the bloc,,, esp behind the starter...where they crack. This was the case with my budddies kid's car... cracked block, leaked all the coolant, blew head gasket.

I have had a day too...
Woke up to find the car keys on the counter..looked out and see my daughter took my truck to school that i needed for the day...what the heck?? Go to pour a cup of coffee to wake up and find a note that says car wouldnt start...great. Head outside and decide to mow the lawn quick before i get busy with harvest this week. Flat tire on the lawn mower...great!! Take care of that and get the mowing done. Hop on the 4 wheeler to head to the other farm...flat tire on that too...great!! Pull the nail and plug the tire but decide i should run over and pick up a check from a guy and get it to the bank today. While i am there i look at my combine stored there that needs a water pump. Just a quick look to see if i need to bring any speacial tools. Racoon decided to use the top of the 3208 Cat as his shitter all year as it is completely covered in coon ****...great!! Stop by the house and grab the check i needed and go. Get to the bank and there are 2 different amounts on the check....great!! Honest mistake so run back and get a different check run back to the bank and they are now closed...great!! I give up and come home and wander around the shed dusting off cars and do a little dreaming...

Good luck with that...
Great to help the kid...

Good you sold some stuff too... :thumbsup:
That's always nice to get rid of stuff for cash, you don't want or need...

I have had a day too...
MILLER TIME !

But . . . as difficult and perplexing the work entailed, you still managed to get it done . . . and still drink a beer to boot !

So it was a GOOD DAY ! ! ! Good luck with the rest of the swap . . . I'm sure you'll figure that out too . . .

The old engine is out and sitting on a car dolly! Came out the top easily.
Installing a complete engine and transmission with only 70000 miles on it should go smoothly. I plan to put the harness on it before dropping it in. I'm sure my daughter will appreciate it (for about 10 minutes! Lol)

Auto Transport Service
Back