• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what cam shaft are you running on the street

"I use 213/225 @ .050, .450/.458 115 LSA. That's the factory hp camshaft."
That is about right for a Magnum cam
"BradH and others have measured it. It's nearly identical to Speed Pro CS-661, Elgin E-1094-P, etc. "
yup- same cam
Duration at .006 292/309 (SAE method .006 AT THE VALVE) or .004 at the cam with 1.5 rockers
Chrysler says 268 on the Intake
why the difference?
Chrysler has a unique yet consistent way of measuring duration. They take the blueprint point where the clearance ramp meets the acceleration ramp and add 4 degrees to the opening and 4 degrees to the close
I basically agree with 67 coronet 440- you can do better today
but 268 and 284 - the 284 is 16 degrees bigger
and the 284 is reasonably lazy and the 268 MAgnum is really lazy- so much so a fast chevy grind will look about the same
HOWEVER the MOPAR grind uses most of the .904 lifter EASILY whereas the Chevy grind would only use a .842 worth of the .904 but radically
Result- the MOPAR method wears better
the magnum cam has long closing ramps. true duration at .006" lobe lift is around 276/292; almost exactly what they were advertised in the '68 road runner adds. Chrysler just ignores part of the closing ramps with the 268/284 thing.

the k58 is [email protected]", .514 lift.

the comp 275hl is just the xe 274 using 1.6 rockers. easy to do the math and figure that one out.

the cs661 is a magnum duplicate

the 6401 is basically crane 280/290 HP lobes on 114lsa

STL3842BS.jpg

Idles nice and lumpy at 800rpms, 12 in/hg at idle. Spring pressure is more than most due to the faster ramps Hughes uses. Running it at 21° initial / 35° all in at 2400 rpms.

Lunati Drag Race Cam 1021098

Hydraulic Flat Tappet. Good cam for high performance street or bracket racing applications with 383-440 c.i. motors. Needs 3500-4000 RPM stall converter, headers, 11:1+ compression ratio and 4.56+ gearing. Rough idle.

• Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 300/305
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 250/255
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .540/.540
  • LSA/ICL: 108/104
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
  • RPM Range: 3000-6800
This actually pulls good throughout the rpm range even with a Edelbrock Victor intake and a big Holley carb. Running a 4.10 gear in the rear end and 93 octane pump gas. According to the former owner and builder, with 4.56 gears and race fuel in it, it will 7.3s in the 1/8th. I was concerned when I bought this car that it wouldn’t be a good street car, but it is a great car to run on the street.

Thanks everyone, great input. But like I mentioned early on I drag raced 440 thur 572 ci motors for 29 years. I got a driver now, with a meat locker of an a/c unit. Not going to be doing anything but cruising around and having fun. Don't want more rpm, mph, mpg, different converter, and gear, just more bump.
Thanks 1967coronet440, that is exactly the sound I am pursuing.
great job everyone, I appreciate your efforts and knowledge.
I will tap into your experiences again.
Gary

Thanks everyone, great input. But like I mentioned early on I drag raced 440 thur 572 ci motors for 29 years. I got a driver now, with a meat locker of an a/c unit. Not going to be doing anything but cruising around and having fun. Don't want more rpm, mph, mpg, different converter, and gear, just more bump.
Thanks 1967coronet440, that is exactly the sound I am pursuing.
great job everyone, I appreciate your efforts and knowledge.
I will tap into your experiences again.
Gary
get a summit 6401.

"the factory cams aren't even the advertised 268/284."
They are - but Mopar does not determine duration at a lift point of the lifter or the valve- re read my earlier post

"the magnum cam has long closing ramps. true duration at .006" lobe lift is around 276/292; almost exactly what they were advertised in the '68 road runner adds."
May be the same however not comparable as they are determined by two completely different methods, it's a coincidence
and
They have long opening and very long closing ramps

What I run on the street- but admit this is a tow rig
440 9:1 true compression .030 quench ported 915 heads with stock size 2.08 x 1.75 motorhome valves
1.75 rocker on the intake dual springs but not much pressure
256 @ .006@ the cam 305 lobe lift .534 valve lift asymmetric
exhaust lobe varies with exhaust system
will be the same on a heavy truck or motorhome (with 1.6 intake rockers) up to 10 degrees longer on lighter vehicle which would have 2.14 x 1.81 valves
This same grind is reasonably hot in a 360
not many hyd rollers can match
10:1 motor 214 and up to 224 ex 440
209-210 intake in a 10:1 360 with Magnum flow iron heads

"the factory cams aren't even the advertised 268/284."
They are - but Mopar does not determine duration at a lift point of the lifter or the valve- re read my earlier post

"the magnum cam has long closing ramps. true duration at .006" lobe lift is around 276/292; almost exactly what they were advertised in the '68 road runner adds."
May be the same however not comparable as they are determined by two completely different methods, it's a coincidence
and
They have long opening and very long closing ramps
you ever run a stock cam thru a degree wheel? where do you get your info?

I have an Isky 270 Mega that I used for a little while. It sounded great and made plenty of stinky emissions, but the dumb old Magnum cam ran better and was more responsive.

One of these days I might tinker with that Isky again, just for nostalgia and to be obnoxious.

lewtot
I was a Chrysler service manager before that parts manager, then I was a zone manager for Chrysler and then AMC
I degree wheeled cams then had access to a "Cam Doc" Jones tools are much more sophisticated
read my post about how Chrysler gets durations from the blueprint, not by checking at some lift.
Can't compare with any other cam and for many years .050 data was not available- which is only useful for degreeing in a cam in any case.
Comparing cams by .050 or by LCA is a con game.
You only start developing compressor when the intake closes, similar for the other events
We only compare at .006 at the valve which is the SAE standard method- .006 at the cam if the rockers are the same

Mega cams are a special case
Isky measures the Intake and Exhaust advertised different ways, also the open and closed are at different heights- only compare to another Mega- nothing else
Really obsolete except for those who need a hyd cam that will rev forever (310 Mega) not for Chryslers

Here’s the .284/.484 sounds good, doesn’t perform for ****. Had it on my 67 440 with performer intake, Holley 750, Hedman headers, 906 heads. Basically a stockish cam with more lope.

That's all I'm looking for is the more pronounced lope. Raced RB rails for 29 years, had the performance. Like that scoop. Not sure which one it is, and or has it been modified. Thanks for you post. Merry Christmas

That's all I'm looking for is the more pronounced lope. Raced RB rails for 29 years, had the performance. Like that scoop. Not sure which one it is, and or has it been modified. Thanks for you post. Merry Christmas
It’s the 6 pack scoop, can’t remmeber where I got it. Merry Christmas to you too

Do you have power brakes and factory AC? The MP 284-484 sometimes does not have enough vacuum for the power brakes. And if you have factory AC with the vacuum door actuators, the doors have a mind of their own, flopping open and close when they want. So if you have factory AC go conservative.

Do you have power brakes and factory AC? The MP 284-484 sometimes does not have enough vacuum for the power brakes. And if you have factory AC with the vacuum door actuators, the doors have a mind of their own, flopping open and close when they want. So if you have factory AC go conservative.
We just put Vintage Air the Stage 4, all electronic, so I think that's OK. No power brakes. Thanks for the reply.

If you do go with the 284/484, make sure you degree it, and if it was me I'd advance it by 4*. The 484 sounds good because it idles like crap, and honestly there are MUCH better camshafts for what you want. If you want a bad *** idle sound and be down on power you can run that one, or any oft he modern cams marketed for sound. You raced. You know what cams do and how they do it. So you know what you'll give up for sound in a street car.

Just got the 67 Belvedere and want a little more lope. She's a 30 over 440, headers, ign. tricked out AFB with an Isky 256 stick. Has tons of bottom end (as most do) but lays down about 5000. And that is OK I have been fast before, I want a good bumpy cam. I'm looking at the Mopar Purple 484/284. Watch you got.
Gary, .590 purple shaft, @ 103.5, 2" TTI, 3.5" pipes, two 750 eddys on a wieand tunnel ram, 3800 turbo action converter, edelbrock victor heads, sounds wicked, pulls like gang busters, haven't had it to the track yet so I don't know. I've only took it to 6400 so far but it was still pulling HARD. and this is a street car!! Dave.

Gary, .590 purple shaft, @ 103.5, 2" TTI, 3.5" pipes, two 750 eddys on a wieand tunnel ram, 3800 turbo action converter, edelbrock victor heads, sounds wicked, pulls like gang busters, haven't had it to the track yet so I don't know. I've only took it to 6400 so far but it was still pulling HARD.
and this is a street car!! Dave.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

compcams 292 extreme solid roller, 3800 loose convertor, in on 103.5 also, car weight 3278 , dana 60 w/ 3:73 gear, very docile , until I stick my foot in the 1200 cfm throttle body, turns sideways almost instantly w/ 295 65 15 d. radials . No track time yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back