• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you Think - Mustang/Camaro/Challenger?

I think I might agree with the gen IV firebird/trans am.

Decent power from the v8, can be had with a 6 speed, parts are literally everywhere, and even the B-J auction top of the line ram air limited edition cars are only bringing 16K.....and if you want 6 or 700 HP, you can bolt it in cheap.

Those were the early "re-awakening" of the American performance movement.

He's not getting a '14+ v8 for $14k. So that leaves v6 models. I agree about visibility. So a Mustang v6 it must be. Easily within budget and still 300hp.

I would probably suggest a GTI, however.

I have an 18 yo nephew that is getting his license tomorrow and wants to buy a car. I tried to convince him to buy a Honda or Toyota for his first car given his budget, inexperience and lack of knowledge about such things. I knew I was just pissing in the wind - his eyes went immediately to the sportier American cars named above. So he has his heart set on one of them (he likes the mustang). These are 2014 - 2016 vintage cars. I know nothing about these cars as I have the GTX and have bought Lexus for many years as daily drivers. I’m looking for some advice as to which one or two to focus on before we go off looking all over the place. His budget is about $12-14k. I want the kid to be safe and get the most reliable one of these as possible. I know some of you may condsider me a heretic for not directing him toward the challenger but some of you must have experienced contrasting opinions.

What say you?
I have no bothered to read all the responses, but I had a 2015 V6 Camaro convertible. The 2LT level comes with a back up camera and the converitble has great visibility. ;-) 325 HP with all the electronic nannys. The price on these cars is very attractive for what you get. That car got totaled in a flood, and I bought an SS to replace it. In fact the price on my SS has dropped so fast I have I have a hard time keeping right side up on it, but I bought it new.
Tim

My 1st car was a turd 65 Gallaxie 240ci straight 6 $150 beater
I was talked into buying it {paid it myself} by my real father
{sperm donor :poke:he's not really a car guy, he's cheap too}
it was straight as an arrow, no dents, clean old ladies car...
I wish I could have bought something better too...
I regretted that purchase still to this day...
BUT;
I never wrecked it, never even got a dent either...
I only had it when I had my permit too, but had my older sister as a adult...
I also drove a 61 Renault RE RWD my step dad made into a dune buggy
before that, I got caught driving it on the street "before I was legal"
my step dad put an end to that, he cut the car in like 4 pieces
& hauled it to scrapyard...

My 1st real car my own car, I bought pad for & maintained,
fueled, insured etc. all with my own $$$
when I could drive without an adult present/supervision was
a 68 Charger R/T 440ci 375 HP "tire fryer" {just like many here had}
Yes, I was young & stupid, but it was my baby !!
I didn't want to wreck it, I took very good care of it too...
I had a lot of pride in that car, I wasn't gonna' do something stupid
or wreck it, not because of my fault anyway...

You know him far better than we all do,
you should be able to assess the deal better than US,
know his type & personality etc.

Getting him something he can work on & learn in is a decent idea

who's paying for it ? him or his parents ?
who's paying for the insurance ? him or his parents ?
if it's him teach him the economics part & maintenance costs etc.
of buying a car, insurance is a big part of the cost, so is fuel...

I like the truck suggestion,
a Used Dakota or Ram could easily be had
for the price range mentioned,
not so great on gas but insurance is cheaper

I wouldn't suggest a Foreign car, I just don't like them
Albeit, I have had a few Toyotas PU's in my life
& VW's too they were all decent cars/trucks...
Among other foreign cars much later in life...
I still prefer American made...
That's just me...

If the kid is buying it (?), with his own $$$ (?)
& he has the $$$ for fuel, insurance & maintenance
let him get what he wants, make sure he knows the costs...

IMO I say teach him properly, make sure he buckles up 1st
teach him to respect the car & power, teach him defensive driving
"let alone responsibility" of driving a car, is a lethal weapon
no matter how much power it does or doesn't have
there's other people on the road & to
"not be an asshole, driving in around in a shithole",
because he wasn't paying attention, texting, grab *** teenage BS
or talking on a phone etc.

you can be just as dead in a weak *** shitty little
junk rice-rocket, toaster on wheels, $1500 POS
as in a nice new muscle car or truck,
the truck may be a bit safer, if it has airbags & shoulder seatbelts...
Just because it's not powerful doesn't mean they are safer,
I drove my dad's 73 Pinto like a wild man,
probably much crazier than I ever did my own cars...

of the 3 listed he likes, if he can even afford any of them {?}
I'd buy a Challenger 1st a Camaro next, than the Mustang last
you maybe can find an older 2008-2010 higher mileage like 50k+
for his/your/his parents budget range of $14k-ish, especially in a V6

I know I wish I could have had my parents help me buy my cars too
or one of my uncles, but me paying for it I had far more respect for
what it took, to earn that $$$, to buy it & take care of it...
I sure as hell didn't want to be an asshole & wreck it...

Remember you were a teen once, you learn from mistakes
you can't put a bubble around him constantly, sooner or later
you need to trust your nephew {I assume},
he's gonna' make mistakes...
That's OK we all did too, let him be a kid, just teach him right form wrong...

OK off my soap box now...

good luck with the choices

Last edited:
The more I read this...As an owner of a Challenger, the visibility issue is overrated. Yes it exists, but not enough to prevent a purchase. As far as an exotic German car, I don't think so. He will know what he likes when he sees and drives it. Just get a PPI whatever car is selected.

The more I read this...As an owner of a Challenger, the visibility issue is overrated. Yes it exists, but not enough to prevent a purchase. As far as an exotic German car, I don't think so. He will know what he likes when he sees and drives it. Just get a PPI whatever car is selected.
Dennis - what is a PPI?

Dennis - what is a PPI?
Pre purchase inspection by a reliable shop not associated with the seller. If the seller won't allow this, don't buy it. Watch too for flood cars. Lots of them out there . Millions. Detect this before spending for an inspection if possible. If the deal sounds too good to be true...

Last edited:
It's so hard for me to be on board with a kid getting an expensive 1st car......my first car was a 1960 Studebaker Lark 2 door wagon,(100 bux). 2nd car was a 1960

Yeah, but that was back in 1965.

I think I’ve successfully steered him away from the trio of cars he wants. I got a bid from my insurance agent for the mustang for him - it would tack on about $500 a month to the parents existing policy. He would be paying his own insurance while they would buy the car. No way can he afford that kind of cash outlay every month. I told him to start looking at Accords and Sonatas. Being in the insurance business all those years that price even surprised me. Yikes! Sorry for you guys that have teens in the family....

I think I’ve successfully steered him away from the trio of cars he wants. I got a bid from my insurance agent for the mustang for him - it would tack on about $500 a month to the parents existing policy. He would be paying his own insurance while they would buy the car. No way can he afford that kind of cash outlay every month. I told him to start looking at Accords and Sonatas. Being in the insurance business all those years that price even surprised me. Yikes! Sorry for you guys that have teens in the family....
Owwww!!

If driverless cars are shoved down our throats, will that put an end to having to carry auto insurance? Are the feds & states going to pay the maintenance costs of the grid, the vehicles & expenses of accidents if they remove us from the responsibility of driving? Hell no, they'll deflect by charging annual membership dues as well as registration fees. What a load of horse manure. Paying the freight to our own slaughter. I'm not compliant with this **** at all.

Pay cash and don't get full coverage?

That's what I do.

All insurance is a calculated risk, and my older cars can be fixed by me, if necessary, out of pocket, if it comes to that, in a more cost effective way than paying the ins company several hundred per year and maybe never needing it.

I put that money into a "car fund" account, so something is there if I need it, and I also use that account to buy tires, brakes, etc.

Pay cash and don't get full coverage?

That's what I do.

All insurance is a calculated risk, and my older cars can be fixed by me, if necessary, out of pocket, if it comes to that, in a more cost effective way than paying the ins company several hundred per year and maybe never needing it.

I put that money into a "car fund" account, so something is there if I need it, and I also use that account to buy tires, brakes, etc.
Kinda the way I was thinking,,,pay cash for decent transportation, keep the ceiling to 5K, pass on property damage & just carry liability. For a 1st car & the learning curve, I think very this a reasonable approach. If there is an accident totaling vehicle, though a substantial loss, it's not a devastating loss,,,,& a lesson in the learning curve. Sharpen awareness.

I agree. I have a 2012 Classic Challenger R/T. I have no issues backing up anywhere or seeing where I am going.

IMG_20140724_210408_121 (6).jpg

A really nice 2002 Trans Am WS6 in black now has the possibility of going up in price. That's always a fun car lesson.

Auto Transport Service
Back