• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is everyones battery of choice?

Nick 916

Local time
12:42 AM
Reaction score
Looking to replace 8 year old battery in my 74 Charger with a 360. All stock motor. What is most reliable and durable enough to withstand New York winters? Thanks for any input.

Walmart Everstart Maxx is made by Johnson Controls, cheaper than auto parts places, has more reserve capacity and cranking amps than most others.

I like the Optima Red, had 1 issue with a brand new one and after contacting optima they told me how to correct it. I like AGM's no acid or specific gravity to worry about.You can find them for about $150 online

Johnson Controls makes the majority of lead acid battery for sale in the USA. I'm not certain if Deka and Exide make their battery brands.

Personally I've had the best luck with DieHards, but I'm sure they are just Johnson Controls battery which is the same as other brands.

Optima, 4th year of winter storage with no battery charger and starts easily everytime. Being a sealed battery is also a huge plus since mines in the trunk.

Napa batteries do me well. Take your old one in and they'll give you the proper match.
I'd make sure the CCA is is higher than the one you take in

Interstate is the best I've found so far. A thousand cc amps for a reasonable price.

Optima Yellow top here. Deep cycle battery since the car sits most of the time.

Had a red top forever and it finally died after 10 years or so.

Walmart batteries for me. Great price and there's never a problem returning them if there's a failure since there'a a Walmart most everywhere.

Optima get them thru. Amazon great deal, just be sure you know how to charge them. From experience!

I do know that I can't stand Harris Batteries!!! Had a few on our tractors and rarely get much more than a few years out of them. Our local parts store just switched over to Napa so maybe I'll try one of theirs next.

The issue I've had with wally's batteries is that a "3 year" battery lasts about 1.5 years and when you get the exchange, the warranty does not start over- it continues at 1.5 years, then in another 1.5 years when the replacement "3 year" battery fails, the warranty is expired and you have to pay full price for a "replacement".

The battery that came with my Satellite failed in a shopping center parking lot.
I guessed that Dick's sporting goods might have batteries of some sort, and they did-
Exide combo RV/deep cycle. I bought one and it has lasted nearly 5 years.
I put it in my Dakota when the second 5 year Interstate failed after 3 years, and I just bought another one for the Satellite.

Dick's doesn't sell them anymore, but Tractor Supply does.

Johnson Controls makes the majority of lead acid battery for sale in the USA. I'm not certain if Deka and Exide make their battery brands.

Personally I've had the best luck with DieHards, but I'm sure they are just Johnson Controls battery which is the same as other brands.

This is correct & I believe Johnson Controls & Exide (they do make their own batteries) make about 80%-90% of all batteries sold in the USA, no matter who's name is on them.

In general, Optima & other AGM-style (absorbant glass mat) batteries will take the most abuse, last the longest....but cost the most. For an off-road 4-wheel drive truck, go AGM for sure (lots of bumps). Hot Rodders and the park stereo guys like them too.

Deep Cycle (aka "marine" batteries) are good for "the stereo guys" since they can be pretty well drained (from playing your stereo with the car off for 2 hrs.) and still start the car.

Basic Lead/Acid - 99% of everyone uses these. Look for the highest "CCA" (cold cranking amps) for easier starts. I used to tell customers, "CCA, warranty & price are the 3 main things to consider in any battery".

True, 5yr batteries will probably go bad in 3-4 yrs., but I like getting a "free one" if it doesn't make the whole 5 yrs. (or 3 yrs. or whatever). I believe at least AutoZone has changed their top-line house brand 5 yr. warranty battery to 3 yrs. free replacement & 2 yrs. pro-rated after that.

I've had a red Optima in my Belvedere going on 10 years now, still spins the engine like it did when new. I use either Napa or John Deere batteries in my equipment, I'll get 8-10 years out of these. I've got a 13 year old Napa battery in an old farm truck right now. Optimas won't leak, have no fumes to ruin paint.

Interstate Battery EVERY time. No question as they are the only battery that never failed me. Chain store autoparts batteries have always gone bad on me after a short time.

Delco Pro in all of my vehicles....95 Dakota 'Yard Cart', 97 Dodge diesel (2) and 2000 Durango. All of them have the same size battery which is a group 27 and are nearly 7 years old now so when things go south, it ain't cheap lol. I do have an EverStart Maxx 810 group 27 that I use for a power source for my trailer winch. It's several years old now but not sure exactly how old it is but it keeps on doing the job. It does get swapped out from time to time with the 'Yard Cart' battery to make sure it has a longer life. Not sure if it's doing that but it's still alive.

Auto Transport Service
Back