• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this sound?

wsutard

Local time
1:13 PM
Reaction score
I was working on an ignition problem so I took the Coronet out for a drive. Half way in I was at a stop light and noticed the noise in the video.

My thought is an exhaust leak. Two reasons, 1. The sound is "soft" like air and not "hard" like metal on metal. 2. The engine is operating normal.

Thoughts?

Classic headder gasket leak. Put some atf in a bottle and suck it in to a vaccum port.Where there is smoke there is a leak.

Yep, that's agravatin'.
It's why I like manifolds.
Soft fiber gasket is the answer.
I know Mr Gasket had one for small blocks, not sure about others.

Get the Mr Gasket header gaskets. Reasonably priced and very good quality.
Go over the exhaust outlets on the head and the flange on the header with a wire wheel on a drill or even with a ScotchBrite pad first to clean the surfaces up, then install the new gasket. Problem solved. :)

Thanks everyone. I am trading my 340 for a 440 here soon so since it exhaust I'm not going to do anything t about it. The 340 is going in an a body so my headers won't work anyway.

Good job on the video clip. Sometime I'll share my piston-slap at start up. Thank God it goes away eventually.

Auto Transport Service
Back