• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your opinion on VIN swaps?

Consider this scenario told to me some years ago. Top notch body/resto shop tows a Super Sport Chevy into the shop. The complete front clip from firewall forward is gone. Everything from the rear window is gone, no trunk area no quarters just the passenger compartment of the car and the VIN number. The frame is rotted and they had top get a replacement frame along with the period correct drive train and the front and rear clips from a donor car. Now the VIN indicated that this car had some rare engine or options. This car was actually built back to its original condition. Would you consider it a real SS, and the price reflecting that rarity? I would not. Some cars are so far gone and cannot be restored so they never will be what they once one. There is way to much emphasis put on certain model cars and other nice examples of the same car get passed over.

Anyone remember Classic Recreations and Unique Performance? They got in trouble for vin fraud called title washing.

Last edited:
Well, that will be interesting.
(Which is a word to use when one doesn't know a better word to use).
It's your time and shoe leather.
Just bear in mind that you are in NY.
"Your results may vary" from the advertised.
Then there are federal laws which someone will probably start posting soon.
(As thought things aren't convoluted enough.)
Many times it depends on what day it is and how questions are asked.
Different day, different person, different answer.
May the force be with you.

hmm,well seeing as a staties word is no good,??!!
ill swing by and talk to one of the investigators this week and see what he says about it.
will that be " good enough " ?

i have a hard time understanding why so many refuse to think logically.....
this isnt rocket science....

I think you mean rocket surgery.
(With apologies to Ben Carson)

Consider this scenario told to me some years ago. Top notch body/resto shop tows a Super Sport Chevy into the shop. The complete front clip from firewall forward is gone. Everything from the rear window is gone, no trunk area no quarters just the passenger compartment of the car and the VIN number. The frame is rotted and they had top get a replacement frame along with the period correct drive train and the front and rear clips from a donor car. Now the VIN indicated that this car had some rare engine or options. This car was actually built back to its original condition. Would you consider it a real SS, and the price reflecting that rarity? I would not. Some cars are so far gone and cannot be restored so they never will be what they once one. There is way to much emphasis put on certain model cars and other nice examples of the same car get passed over.

Wow, a real "frame off restoration".:lol:

When a person wants a type of car bad enough, they will make any excuse they have to in order to justify their actions. The bottom line is there are many people in Jail for switching Vin's. Is it worth it? My Brother was a cop for thirty years, and Investigated fraud for seven. In Phoenix Vin's switching is treated the same as auto theft, and prosecuted accordingly.(Then Turned over to Fed's) Then, If they can't determine the previous owner, they simply CRUSH the car! Then the owner goes to jail. he didn't care if it was a Hemi GTX or a 1984 Cadillac. The vin switching is an Industry wide problem, not just classic cars, and Investigated accordingly.
It kind of takes the fun out of owning one, Eh?

theres legal loop holes...here in nevada it can be done all legal through the dmv.

So this is off subject but basically the same argument how about a gauge cluster that reads sixty thousand miles when the one you had says two hundred thousand miles

after ten years mileage disclosures are not required. Vin switching is a Federal offense, not just a state offense.

There are some legal loop holes...here in Nevada it can be done legally through the DMV.

That is encouraging. If this is true, this alleviates one of the issues that I have with this. The other is fraud. If the sole purpose to swap numbers is to place an increased value onto a low line car, then the same opposition applies.
Thank you for doing the research, Chris.

I was at a swap meet one time and saw a 70 hemi cuda on a trailer. It had no Windows no hood or trunk lids. No doors or wheels. It looked like a rusted out piece of crap. The guy was asking 25 thou. I remember telling my friend all you'll get for it is a fender tag.

I was at a swap meet one time and saw a 70 hemi cuda on a trailer. It had no Windows no hood or trunk lids. No doors or wheels. It looked like a rusted out piece of crap. The guy was asking 25 thou. I remember telling my friend all you'll get for it is a fender tag.
Check out THIS turd...

IMG_0094.JPG IMG_0095.JPG

This is one of those things I rather stay away from but..... if I had a two cars I purchased legal and one was rusted beyond repair and the other was just missing it's vin or paperwork firstly I run the numbers if car is not illegal I continue . I will then do the deed and do it completely not just a dash and title all or nothing I would only do it to say a good body. As a driver I then make sure donor car is crushed and gone from this world (problems arise if two cars have the same numbers) then I get rid of the fender tag and build sheet as not to be have frad . I'm not saying this car is the other it's now a nobody driver and I will came it as a rebody and nothing more . I turn this type of car into a fun resto mod that numbers don't mater . And if the car gets sold I have a document made up and the buyer signs saying he or she understands that the car is a rebody so I don't have any future problems. As zach said I rather have a rebody all American metal car then a org vin car that had no good metal on it to start and now is a big jap coke can car ...
Only for good and not evil if I catch a crook trying to pawn off a rebody as an org rare whatever to make a huge profit I call him out and call the cops

Well Kern Dog, I guess your turd is worth re eating.

looks like another green green green is that a ledger green stripe I spy :poke:

Kern did you buy that ?
I saw that car at the Mopar Nationals in Ohio July 2004. Yes, that picture is almost 13 years old!
I live in California. Pretty far to go, so no Sir...I did NOT buy it!

Auto Transport Service
Back