• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your opinion on VIN swaps?

If I recall correctly, the car had mud all through it as if it were just pulled from a pond. There was not a single panel on it that did not need to be replaced due to rust. It was a Hemi 68 GTX though. I still cannot imagine anyone spending $40,000 for a car that needed everything.

If I recall correctly, the car had mud all through it as if it were just pulled from a pond. There was not a single panel on it that did not need to be replaced due to rust. It was a Hemi 68 GTX though. I still cannot imagine anyone spending $40,000 for a car that needed everything.
Did someone? Is there more to this story your holding back on?

I don't know anything more about the car, not even the original color.

This is best photo I could pull off of an old photo. 97 @Santini's in Westminster, Ca. Me, my Departed Canine Soulmate DanaToo, and Old Friend Peter, Who passed last year. I think You two look alike anyway, seem to posture similarly & definitely comb hair the same.

IMG_20170221_120233.jpg

Yeah, that does look like me. I'm still around though, always at the ready to annoy or entertain.

Bringing this thread back to life, has anybody heard if this is still happening?

If the Government is OK with Transgender people, then we should accept Transgender cars. What they started out as is no longer relevant.

its fraud plain and simple
I agree, what is the point of "changing" the tag unless that is the intention? I have never looked at the tag, except if it was required to get a part or to make sure there would not be a problem getting "plates" for it. But I do not care if the vehicle has the "factory screws" hold the cardboard glove box to the dash. As you can tell from the car I own and what I did to it. When I purchased ANY vehicle, i have an use planned for it and a picture of what I want to do to it. At one time I tried to buy a nine passenger 1960 Fury wagon that was for sale. The seller had changed the motor, installed O.E. roof rack, and painted it FM3!!!!!!! thought it would look great towing our 66 to the track!!!!!!!!! but could not afford what they wanted. Type in 1960 Pink Plymouth Station Wagon and you'll see it. Some of the picture make it look "pepto pink" but it was FM3 By the way - BEST COLOR EVER!

You can be certain it’s still happening. If there’s tens of thousands of dollars that hinge on little letters and numbers stamped in otherwise completely identical metal people are going to take the money. Immoral yes, but there’s plenty of that to go around. Any time there’s money to be had, especially easy money, there’s shitty behavior not far behind.

I really don’t care if it’s not a super high $$$ car and if it’s done right. To me the car is the vin plate and everything else is a replacement part. Not that I encourage doing this…

Thinking about it in newer car terms, if the “repair” (restoration) cost more than the final value - scrap value it would have been totaled. This would go for all restorations, not just re-bodies. Today you could go buy a body in white and repair your wrecked car, it would just end up with a salvage title. Seems like these re-bodies (and restorations with everything replaced) would just be better off with salvage titles.

Some of these big name guys build cars off a title and turn around and sell them for BIG bucks.

Of course it is, Dynacorn is making complete E body Challenger bodies to do just that.. just a replacement part for your dash VIN.
Dynacorn has been making E body Challenger bodies for over 10 years.

It brings up this question: How much sheet metal can be replaced without it being a rebody?? What was left original on the Phantom Cuda? https://www.motorious.com/articles/news/phantom-cuda-get-restored/
That is an excellent question and I have not seen it clearly answered.
There is a running joke....Lift the VIN and fender tag and slide a different car underneath it and BAM, you save all sorts of time on a restoration.
Aside from my 2 '70 Chargers, I've only owned inexpensive A body cars. Of all the Mopars that I have owned, only a few had their original engines. I've owned 1 340 Dart, a 360 Duster and my "Jigsaw" Charger with a 383. Every other car has been a 318 or a slanty. Nobody rebodies those cars.

Even my Jigsaw Charger has had extensive repair. I replaced the entire front structure....the one on the car now is from a '70 Belvedere. The core support was shredded on the car so I didn't have it to cut out and save the VIN. The car has still the Belvedere stamping.

Repair 4.jpg

Repair 32.jpg
Repair 37.jpg
Repair 96.jpg

Consider this scenario told to me some years ago. Top notch body/resto shop tows a Super Sport Chevy into the shop. The complete front clip from firewall forward is gone. Everything from the rear window is gone, no trunk area no quarters just the passenger compartment of the car and the VIN number. The frame is rotted and they had top get a replacement frame along with the period correct drive train and the front and rear clips from a donor car. Now the VIN indicated that this car had some rare engine or options. This car was actually built back to its original condition. Would you consider it a real SS, and the price reflecting that rarity? I would not. Some cars are so far gone and cannot be restored so they never will be what they once one. There is way to much emphasis put on certain model cars and other nice examples of the same car get passed over.

I know this is an old post, and this is not directed to the OP in general but...

The VIN doesn’t indicate what engine a General Motors car came with until 1972. That’s why “matching numbers” became a thing.

I'm jumping in.....
ANY Vin tampering with an attempt to
defraud is a felony. States have procedures
in place when dealing with frame/body
swaps and major drive train components.
It's also illegal to.dispose of or sell any
vehicle or major body, or engine/trans
components where there is no Vin.
(where there should be one).
(I don't know how this would apply to a
warranty 440 block where no serial was
applied).