• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What trans I should use? SB to BB

junkyard junky

Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
Finally decided to go big block on my 65 coronet. I have a transmission that came with my big block and was told it was from an e body. Wondering if I should use it or find a 65 cable shift trans? I know I need to buy a special shifter cable for the later transmission for my floor shifter.

i'm running a 70 B~Body trans in my 65 Satellite and i also set my motor back 1-1/2" like the 66-70 style cars, if you use the 66-70 K~Member it will push the Engine back as i mentioned Giving you more room for Electric fans, Bigger radiators and what ever else you mite need !

"by the way, if you need a 65 cable trans i have one !"
Also you do not need to cut your trans cross member, the trans mount is all you need and available, Also if you use the 66-70 K~Member as mentioned above, Dont Cut The Trans Cross Member, just modify The Factory "Trans Mount" all i did was to add (weld on 2" to The Mount) and drilled new holes VERY EASY !!

Last edited:
i'm running a 70 B~Body trans in my 65 Satellite and i also set my motor back 1-1/2" like the 66-70 style cars, if you use the 66-70 K~Member it will push the Engine back as i mentioned Giving you more room for Electric fans, Bigger radiators and what ever else you mite need !

"by the way, if you need a 65 cable trans i have one !"
Also you do not need to cut your trans cross member, the trans mount is all you need and available, Also if you use the 66-70 K~Member as mentioned above, Dont Cut The Trans Cross Member, just modify The Factory "Trans Mount" all i did was to add (weld on 2" to The Mount) and drilled new holes VERY EASY !!
MC,
Do you have any photos of the modified cross member?
Mike

Depends on what type of shifter you want to use. Floor shifter, use what you have. Column shifter, you'll need a 65 cable shift trans.

MC,
Do you have any photos of the modified cross member?
Mike
i did'nt modify the Cross Member, i Modified the "Trans Mount" Only because of the Latter style K~Member, it push's the Engine Back 1-1/2" and yes i should have Pics !

Thanks for the info. I plan on using the stock 65 k member. The shifting cable on my 65 coronet is just like the one on my pushbutton 63 Plymouth.

Thanks for the info. I plan on using the stock 65 k member. The shifting cable on my 65 coronet is just like the one on my pushbutton 63 Plymouth.
1)if you keep the stock K-Member and want to use the "1966-1970" Trans all you need is a new Trans mount
http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsYear/62.65bBody.html
when adding up the cost of new cable's @ $200.00 Each plus the fact of trying to find a Good Stall convertor for your cable Trans it just don't make sense. finding a 19 spline convertor will be fun and Expensive, its much easier and Cheaper to do the Swap !! Good Luck on what ever you decide !!

So I guess I need to look for a 66-70 transmission then? I currently have a trans from a 74 c body

Auto Transport Service
Back