• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What transmission fluid to use

-------
Most of the time when things come over the border everyone is gouging along the way, none more than that crooked Government that has us under siege, but that's another story.. One thing that I have learned through this experience is the necessity to have a routine transmission maintenance program. The cars around me at the track though, I never noticed or heard any of them worrying about dumping their trans fluid between race days.

When I used to be into the 727's I used to use a product called doorease during assembly. Is that still around and used or is there something better now?
I forget some of you good guys/racers are our neighbors
but just live above the border too... :BangHead:

not sure about the "doorease" stuff

TSR Racing Products/Trans Prep assembly lube,
vale sort of recommendations, as seen on {page 49}
Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook
"How to rebuild or modify, Chryslers A-727 Torgueflite for all applications"
it's a great reference book, older book a bit dated, 2003 rewritten
author, Carl H. Monroe, from HP books-1399

I have a tub still
ATP Transmission Assembly lube, I use it "very sparingly"
on bearing surfaces, O-rings, gaskets, thrust washers etc.
it's cheap $8.97 for 16 oz
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atp-at201

my dad used the "white" general automotive assembly grease for ever,
I never did on transmissions, not automatics anyway

disclaimer;
I've got to add, I'm in no way a transmission expert,
I'm just an enthusiast/racer...

Last edited:
I forget some of you good guys/racers are our neighbors
but just live above the border too... :BangHead:

not sure about the "doorease" stuff

TSR Racing Products/Trans Prep assembly lube,
vale sort of recommendations, as seen on {page 49}
Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook
"How to rebuild or modify, Chryslers A-727 Torgueflite for all applications"
it's a great reference book, older book a bit dated, 2003 rewritten
author, Carl H. Monroe, from HP books-1399

I have a tub still
ATP Transmission Assembly lube, I use it "very sparingly"
on bearing surfaces, O-rings, gaskets, thrust washers etc.
it's cheap $8.97 for 16 oz
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atp-at201

my dad used the "white" general automotive assembly grease for ever,
I never did on transmissions, not automatics anyway

disclaimer;
I've got to add, I'm in no way a transmission expert,
I'm just an enthusiast/racer...
“Door-ease” the stuff for lubing door hinge rollers, yup, worked ok. Vaseline also. I think last time I did it was just regular ATF.

“Door-ease” the stuff for lubing door hinge rollers, yup, worked ok. Vaseline also. I think last time I did it was just regular ATF.

I found that the door-ease helped the seals slip into place easily, on the 727 whereas the ATF was a fight. That was 25 years ago, not sure if it's even sold now. I did loads of Allisons back in those days too (day job) and ATF was all that I used on them.

I found that the door-ease helped the seals slip into place easily, on the 727 whereas the ATF was a fight. That was 25 years ago, not sure if it's even sold now. I did loads of Allisons back in those days too (day job) and ATF was all that I used on them.
IMG_4669.JPG
IMG_4669.JPG

I have used Parker O Ring lube for years on any assembly that has rubber seals. A light coating on the rubber is all that is needed.
As for assembling mechanical seals?--My choice is the fluid they will run in.
This is one of those things that can be over thought. The OEM fluid is a good safe bet. Snake oil may be fine --but maybe not.:)
20-211-00.jpg

Going 135 passes behind 800HP and looking like that, tells me that when your transmission is built right and seals are doing their job, basic ATF does the job. Now I believe that you foorbrake your car Doug? With the transbrake there would be more heat buildup meaning more frequent fluid changes. Is there a rule of thumb on fluid changes to go with?
We do run synthetic in the Turbo car. It sets on the brake longer than most to build boost. Nothing against Synthetic except cost, just mine hasn't seemed to require it. I swap fluid once a year even though it uses aluminum drum. Usually about 100 passes.
Doug

We do run synthetic in the Turbo car. It sets on the brake longer than most to build boost. Nothing against Synthetic except cost, just mine hasn't seemed to require it. I swap fluid once a year even though it uses aluminum drum. Usually about 100 passes.
Doug

Makes logical sense with your use of dexron and synthetic fluids for each application. Excellent example and it brings it very much into perspective.

And it makes me think of the guys I've seen that sit on the brake and rev limiter while the guy next to him has yet to fully stage. Those guys are good candidates for synthetic fluids.

For me it's another lesson learned. Kind of like the old Andy Griffith show where every episode Opie learns a lesson.

Well I decided to get the Plymouth a Christmas present this year while the trany is out. It's coming from Lenny @ Ultimate Converter Concepts. This being the first time purchasing a custom built converter I was totally amazed at how many details come into play in building a converter to work with a combo.

My current converter is an older unit (measures 10") that I picked up used from a local advertisement and a much different unit compared to the 8" that Lenny is matching to my car.

Lenny was great to work with and a big thanks to Mr. Mike Gaines for steering me to Lenny @ Ultimate Converters!

Well I decided to get the Plymouth a Christmas present this year while the trany is out. It's coming from Lenny @ Ultimate Converter Concepts. This being the first time purchasing a custom built converter I was totally amazed at how many details come into play in building a converter to work with a combo.

My current converter is an older unit (measures 10") that I picked up used from a local advertisement and a much different unit compared to the 8" that Lenny is matching to my car.

Lenny was great to work with and a big thanks to Mr. Mike Gaines for steering me to Lenny @ Ultimate Converters!
Lenny does mine as well.
Doug

Lenny built the one for Barney also

Merry Christmas Wooks! I recall you telling me that your old converter was fast and knowing that it's another one of Lenny's builds makes the new one coming that much better.

Was happy to see the new converter show up today!
IMG_4730.JPG

I have never purchased a custom converter before and working with Lenny @ Ultimate was excellent from start to finish. The detailed information needed right up front, the questions he asked, the comparisons he used and the build being right on time, it was all spot on. Lenny suggested that I would be pleasantly surprized with the new converter and I'm looking forward to getting it back together and on the track!

I don’t think I’ve ever read anything but phenomenal reviews on both the way Lenny does business or his converters. I went to Lupo a number of years back and had a similar experience. It’s really cool to work with a company that genuinely seems interested in participating in your goals with you!

I don’t think I’ve ever read anything but phenomenal reviews on both the way Lenny does business or his converters. I went to Lupo a number of years back and had a similar experience. It’s really cool to work with a company that genuinely seems interested in participating in your goals with you!
-----
Hey LW. I did my research beforehand and it came back almost perfect too.
I contacted Lenny the other day again, was thinking more about going to the low gear set while I'm apart. Lenny told me that the lower gear set would tighten my new converter up about 50 to 100 RPM and advised to try the 2.45 set first. Another friend whom has a 2.74 set that I could get from him said the same thing, try the 2.45 set first.

Now that my transmission is apart I finally know how well it was built. This was the transmission that came with the car, had zero miles on it and was a Protrans.

What I actually ended up with is a 727 with a A&A valvebody with the transbrake, aluminum drum and upgraded sprag, so some good stuff.

Now the not so good stuff was that it never had the 4 gear planetary like I was told, had all stock clutches and bands in it, the sprag was a 12 roller, not 16 and a stock rear aluminum servo. It appears it was freshened with stock pieces to sell. The dirty fluid that I found was from the slipping stock clutches and bands. It had the wrong band in it for the aluminum drum and the drum needed to be cleaned up. I'll stick with the aluminum drum but it's getting an A&A ultimate sprag, good clutches, bands and billet servo.

So I'll be starting fresh this spring with a custom converter from Lenny and a 170 lb lighter Plymouth. The best of 129.8 @ 10.38 is going to get a serious kick in the pants I think/hope.

Auto Transport Service
Back