• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new, proven, or recommended for Auto tran coolers?

Dibbons

Local time
6:18 PM
Reaction score
I am thinking about bypassing the factory automatic transmission cooler (built into the radiator) and setting up a stand alone cooler for the 904 in my '72 Satellite Sebring Plus project car. Why? Plan on going to a higher compression motor to replace the current 318 and would like to take the load off the stock radiator. Anything new, trick out there or is it just the same old standard finned units? Thank you.

Don't bypass the OE radiator cooler. Just leave the plumbed line into the cooler and plumb the line out into the external cooler. From out of the external cooler into the stock return line back to the trans.

A simple cooler will do. I last did this with a large B&M cooler. I don't remember the exact size but it was way over rated for the duty. It was something like a 9 X 12. HUGE!

You can't go wrong getting one rated for an RV application. Your final size may be limited to what you can fit in the available area. Here is a shot of my layout. One each for engine[ big one], trans[ medium] and p/s[ small one].

IMG_0128.JPG

I am thinking about bypassing the factory automatic transmission cooler (built into the radiator) and setting up a stand alone cooler for the 904 in my '72 Satellite Sebring Plus project car. Why? Plan on going to a higher compression motor to replace the current 318 and would like to take the load off the stock radiator. Anything new, trick out there or is it just the same old standard finned units? Thank you.

Well you can make the same mistakes as many before you and mount one in front of the rad ( so you have warm air blowing on the partially blocked rad), or you can leave your lines connected to the bottom of the rad to make sure your tranny fluid reaches 195 degrees ( don't see the logic in that) or you can endeavor to accomplish exactly what you're trying to do - cool the tranny fluid. You might mount a narrow but longer heat exchanger horizontal, just below and behind the rad, but in front of the stabilizer bar, or forward of the rad in a horizontal ( or slightly tilted) if space permits. My cooler is out of a 2007 F250 pickup ( $45 bucks at the auto recyclers) and about 5" by 18" long, installed at a slight tilt in front of the rad with a pair of Spal 4 1/2, 2.5 amp fans mounted on the upper side. It's a "stacked plate" style cooler. If this unit can cool a tranny in a 2 1/2 ton work truck rated at 2 tons load capacity and 28,000 pounds towing capacity it certainly won't have a problem with my 600 hp 727.

B&M Super Cooler, Best cooler on the market. Built like a tank, a mini radiator if you will, furnace braised . As far as routing it I've done both,this cooler is available is several sizes.
As you know the idea of bypassing the radiator is that if the coolant ever leaks into the tranny tank under the radiator it will destroy your transmission.with that said if you know your radiator is in good Heath and are willing to roll the dice go for it.(but remember Murphy's law). This cooler is capable of handling job by it's self if mounted correctly I can testify to it. mounting should be about about 3/4" to an inch away from the radiator according to the directions not directly touching it. good luck.
408282d1372551131-b-m-70266-supercooler-photo.jpg
105432d1332977619-b-m-14-4k-btu-trans-cooler-install-w-pics-trans-cooler-1.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROksqTCVXhiAvHyTk2h3MTEWDXNXNSHnGMVF8evCaWgBGVy7z1.jpg

Had this same setup in three race cars. B&M Super Cooler w/fan, not using the radiator. Working with available space, some fans pushed and some pulled. It didn't make any difference. They work great.

BM cooler.JPG

Tru Cool in two vehicles, no issues. Both use the factory 5/16" inverted flare connections.
lpd4707-front.jpg

I used this fan cooled heat exchanger from Derale
IMG_1680.JPG
. Fan is controlled by a inline thermostat.
Mike

I used this fan cooled heat exchanger from DeraleView attachment 516326 . Fan is controlled by a inline thermostat.
Mike
I`ve ran the coolers both ways, w/ it going thru the rad., and by passing it. I have it going thru the rad. on my 505" 68 fastback now. I read in one of Chryslers ( I think), manuals that said the trans. can run too cold in winter start up w/o it going thru the rad. Makes sense to me. I think mine is a 7x12, mounted 2" in front of the rad.

Auto Transport Service
Back