• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's so great about de-rusting solutions? Step inside and see.

idrivemopar

Local time
8:12 AM
Reaction score
I'm not trying to make a shameless plug for any particular brand of de-rusting solutions, but wanted to share my results. This stuff has saved me a countless amount of time and sanity when it comes to cleaning up old parts.

Here are some examples from small to fairly large parts of my car that i have done using a de-rusting solution. My powder coater wishes all his customer would bring in such clean parts! LOL

I have found the best results are to make sure dirt, grease, oil, and any surface build up are cleaned or knocked down as much as possible before soaking, as this will speed the process and limit contamination to your solution. Additionally, after the parts are pulled from the solution, i use light steel wool pads and water to clean off residue and then dry with my compressor to limit flash rust. This is ok if they are going to be powder coated as they will only need a light bead blast before coating. If not you can wipe down with a clear towel to remove residue.

Here are some examples that i have done over the past few months, the suspension and drive shaft are the latest ones.

Attachments

• evapo-rust comp 3small.jpg
    evapo-rust comp 3small.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 617
  • evapo-rust comp 2 small.jpg
    evapo-rust comp 2 small.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 620
  • evapo-rust comp 4small.jpg
    evapo-rust comp 4small.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 651
  • control arms small.jpg
    control arms small.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 642
  • Driveshaft2 small.jpg
    Driveshaft2 small.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 568
I did mine by way of my shop's sand blaster and had my whole front end powder coated, sure beats elbow grease. Looks fantastic:)

Uuhhhh, did I miss something, or did you forget to tell us WHAT solution you were using? :eusa_think:

BTW, the parts look great. Good job!

I used Evapo-rust, but there are others on the market that do the same thing, Metal Rescue is another.

Its nice to just dip stuff and come back later and its all clean!!! I wish i had access to a media blaster, that would be nice, but since i dont this was good way for me to get stuff clean!

GTX, i bet that looks good! I am also doing my entire front end powder coated, plus a bunch of other stuff.

I get it through local Fastenal, 19 a gallon, but the time it saves is worth the cost.

All the parts look good and the before and after shots its easy to see you have this part of doing the cars pretty much covered! Great work..

I used Evapo-rust, but there are others on the market that do the same thing, Metal Rescue is another.

Its nice to just dip stuff and come back later and its all clean!!! I wish i had access to a media blaster, that would be nice, but since i dont this was good way for me to get stuff clean!

GTX, i bet that looks good! I am also doing my entire front end powder coated, plus a bunch of other stuff.
a great way to do media blasting yourself is to use one of the gravity feed small guns from harbor freight.hopper on the gun,uses a ceramic tip.speed blaster is another name they go by.i just use it in the driveway at home with aluminumoxide media and sweep up the mess when done.great for small parts,upto wheel size or so.bigger stuff i take to work,but great for home use.

Rick at Rick's Restoration uses apple cider vinegar and showed the results on the last episode.

Hey, bee, how did rick use the vinegar? I'll be doing my front end soon and would love to save a few bucks.

He let the parts soak overnight and I believe he said they might need a light sanding or sand blasting afterwards.

Those are some great results! Thanks for posting.

Apple cider vinegar will do it. I soak rusted stuff for 24 hrs or longer depending on how bad it is, rinse it with water...dry it then a wire wheel brush and looks like new.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back