• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the deal with deadbeat picture collectors?

64 Post

Local time
1:29 PM
Reaction score
Why do people needs 50 pics of everything no matter how small the part?

Hypothetical example: "4 - '64 trans mount bolts and flanged nuts. Black oxide, 11/16" x 3" x course thread. Price: $1.00"

Do guys really need pics of these? Really? Or do they want to verify I actually have the parts so they won't get ripped off? (Which is stupid because I can still keep the money and not send the part.) And they never acknowledge getting the pics or there's no follow up on their part.

I must be missing something. Help me out.

Don't know what to tell ya. In a case like your bolts, I'd just send them a pic or two to make sure both partys are talking about the same item and let it go at that. Some other parts that are more important to a restoration might require more pics, especially if there are several sides to it.

Hypothetical example: "4 - '64 trans mount bolts and flanged nuts. Black oxide, 11/16" x 3" x course thread. Price: $1.00"

Do guys really need pics of these? Really? Or do they want to verify I actually have the parts so they won't get ripped off? (Which is stupid because I can still keep the money and not send the part.) And they never acknowledge getting the pics or there's no follow up on their part.

I sometimes ask for pictures because I'm unsure about what I'm doing and don't have the expertise or knowledge to work from descriptions (if that makes any sense!). It's easier for me to compare what I'm replacing or looking for with a picture of the item, just so I know it's the same thing. I was looking for a damper (balancer) for a 440. there were a couple availible and it was really easy to pick out the correct one from the pictures. Discriptions only would have uped my stress level choosing one. Maybe not the best example but I could see why I would ask for a picture of a bolt if I was trying to keep everything original.

P.S. But it's rude to not reply yes or no, after someone has sent you pictures.

I know how you feel . Everyone wants a million pictures of something then they disappear or can't afford it

From my standpoint. Having more information in pictures helps to decide if the car is worth it. To not make a 5 to 12 hour trip to only find that the frame rails are rotted. Most people just want to know what they are buying. It is a pain in the *** but it helps to inform the potential buyer that you aren't hiding anything. I don't think its any thing personal. And not everyone is a picture collector.

I found a Roadrunner on craigslist. The entire front clip and doors looked fantastic. But the pictures were deceptive. I went to look at the car and it needed everything behind the doors. The rear window frame was rotted up into the roof. Both rear quarters were completely wasted. And the trunk pan was complete trash. It would have taken a **** load of money to repair.

Last edited:
I just like to see what my money is getting me, I bought some P/S brackets the guy said they were in great shape but needed cleaned, when I got them they were rusted bad, pitted bad, junk to me. When I called and ask him about the condition of them he said they were in great shape for the year and just needed cleaned and painted just like I said. So now I don't buy anything I can't see and the more pictures the better for me.

Yeah, as khryslerkid say...
With us the buyer its always Buyer Beware
Sorry this is a hassle for you

Also I bought a numbers matching carter for a 69 383 w/o ac and auto. The pictuers showed the tag on the carb with correct number on the base. However My buddy picked it up on his way to FL. I opened the bag it was in. Not only was it trashed it was missing the tag and the base was completely wrong. I emailed the ******** and he said the base doesnt matter. I said where the hell is the tag then. The douchebag never replied back. So I got stuck with a useless carb because the dude was a crook.

Picture collectors are every where, even on this board.
Case in point when I was selling my 64 Belvedere, a gold member here commented my pics were not good enough for my ad and wanted more.
I know he had no intention of buying my car even after I sent him a bunch via email as he never replied to it, But he did get insulted when I posted about picture collectors in the for sale ad.
Don't waste my time because I will not waste yours trying to deceive you.

Well if I'm going to commit to buying something without actually TOUCHING & SEEING in living color, then I'm going to want MULTIPLE images...sectional shots too.....but I NEVER buy **** without seeing & touching, so You don't have to stress over me ever wanting pictures from You.
That's the sellers burden.....often many misfires before something takes.
A person requesting photos or any other request should definitely have the courtesy to respond & acknowledge the seller's efforts.

I'm not sure if I understand. Could you send a couple pictures for confirmation. Hahaha

it seems it's that way today

yes it's rude
to not send a "no thanks" or a "not what I thought"
or "thanks for your time" or something, for your trouble

a few sellers are just as bad takes for ever to reply

it goes both ways, holding back info & TMI

Ya want my money ... send me pictures. 10 photos of a bolt may be a little extreme but there are people out there who seem to think 2 pictures are all that's needed to sell a $60,000 car!!

I sell a product through the internet ONLY. I've set up a Flickr account with all the photos I think are necessary. If somebody wants more than what's in my ad I send them a link to the Flickr album. Costs me nothing and its fast and easy once set up. To be honest, the pictures are the easy part. Each sale usually involves ten or twenty emails back and forth. But after the first three I'm pretty confident I'm getting a sale.

Actually, I think stuped questions are worse than asking for photos.

I'm selling a paper shredder I don't need anymore - asking $50. The ad says "LIKE NEW ...". I got an email asking if it works and if it works would I take $40.. I replied I'd take $40 if it didn't work but $50 if it did. I lost the sale for being a smartass.

64 Post said:
I've been waiting this:
:xscuseless:

You guys are slacking![/QUOTE]

I said:
Well played.:)

ocd.jpg
An error in my original post

I usually get three or four offers to trade for old junk and a couple that will have the money “soon”. Lol. Most guys with money buy new to avoid all the BS.

Note in ad ... "If you need to check with the wife, do that first"

I totally agree with what your saying but pictures do sell & I usually like to see what I'm buying also just so were both on the same page as condition & part description varies plus I've been burned a few time myself.
If I'm selling something I take 6-12 pictures of what I'm selling depending on what type of part it is maybe more but a car is a different story I'll take 30-50 photos of everything I think I'd want to see being a buyer since I don't want to waste mine or anybody else time.
Usually I'll send 5-6 pics to somebody & if they want more they need to call which usually scares off a good bit of them & if I get the same person that has asked me for pics a few times with no response in return they go on my ignore list or ebay blocked buyer.
but your still going to deal with the ham smokers & picture collectors are everywhere I think racing junk is the worst for them & fleabay is almost as bad as craigslist.

Auto Transport Service
Back