• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the DUMBEST thing you've done to your Mopar?

Tim Chavez

Local time
12:18 AM
Reaction score
admit it. we all have that one thing lingering. whether it was forgetting to bolt something down. forgetting to check fluid levels. passed on a crazy opportunity etc. now not to say this is the only thing dumb thing that's ever happened, but what takes the cake for me was testing out the Charger after rebuilding the carb, i got excited after firing it up that i slam the hood down, proceed to forget the hood pins and let the wind put a slight crease in my
72 Ramcharger hood right at the driver side hinge. ( Don't worry thanks to my ole lady there is a video:mad::mad::mad: that i will post to instagram) i don't think i've cussed that much since college haha. what about you guys?

Ran out of gas ... did a burn out in 1st gear, wrecked the sprag , that's all I can think of right now

Not cranking oil pressure on an engine and checking for oil leaks. Or maybe putting holes for accell super coil in inner fender panel.

Not me, but a good friend hooked the battery up wrong in his 66 Newport. Keyed it on and all the smoke was let out of the dash harness among other things.

Running my stock 68 hemi RR up to 150mph on a two-lane road with half used tires. It took both lanes because the front was so light.

Not me, or a mopar... But my little brother did an oil change on his 72 c20 but forgot to install the new oil filter. Ruined his 350.

Now the dumbest thing I ever did on my Charger... I forgot the re-connect my 727 kickdown cable after adjusting the carburetor, and my dumbass decided to do a burnout. Burnt up that trans badly... only 2 months after I completely rebuilt it in my HS shop class.

Next thing I know I pulled the transmission in my garage, and then the engine, interior, and the snowball started to roll.

I’ve never done anything stupid to my Mopar....... Now I used to have a Chevy Blazer a number of years ago. It was an older vehicle in great condition. Never checked the oil for a prolonged period of time. The motor started to act up. Still didn’t check it - blew the engine a day or so later. Wasn’t worth fixing so I ended up donating the vehicle and taking the tax write off. I still look back at that and think how stupid I was.....

Built my first small block motor at Community College Auto Tech class circa 1975. Knurled all the valve guides except for one extra loose one (exhaust valve). Replaced that guide with a new insert. When I assembled the cylinder heads, I noticed that the valve stem/guide clearance was kind of tight on that one cylinder. I thought, with running time, the clearance would open up a little without me doing any reaming.

Second day running the motor quit after emitting a white cloud of smoke (probably steam).

When I pulled the dipstick I found the crankcase full of coolant. When I pulled #7 spark plug I found the tip was destroyed. When I dis-assembled the motor, I found a broken off exhaust valve, a hole punched thru the piston dome, a bent connecting rod, a split cylinder bore, and a chewed up combustion chamber.

Rebuilt the motor again during the second semester of shop class. Replaced the Isky 280 advertised duration .480" lift camshaft I used the first time with an Isky full competition 312 advertised duration .580 lift camshaft. The '65 four door Valiant I put the 273 motor in (.060 over) eventually ran a best of 12.72 @ 108 MPH.

65 Valiant5.jpg

Installing the 6-pack linkage backwards. The rear piece "just barely" hung up on the intake at WOT. Drove to work, did a burnout for my boss & buddy after work.... pedal stuck to the floor in 1st gear.....spun a bearing.

Losing a race to a local in Concord Ca. circa 1977-ish
Danny M. with bad ***/fast trick high dollar
LS7 (454 based) BBC 650hp 70 Camaro :mad:
in my mostly just day 2, recent installation of
gears, converter, headers, cam, alum. intake, Holley carb, hot coil etc.
in my recently purchased 68 Charger R/T,
I bit off more than I could handle...
I had whooped most everyone else, that night...
It took me over a year to come up with the
parts & cash to finally beat him,
with a fresh 513ci dual Holley's RB based stroker...
Then I agreed to run a buddy with a 535ci RB based stroked
68 GTX that than beat me for the honors... :BangHead:
It was short lived...

Last edited:
My first 70 Satellite convertible I had in college in the early 80's. I installed an aftermarket stereo and realized there was a perfect spot in the doors where 5" or 6" round speakers would fit. I precisely cut out the door panels, ran the wires, mounted the speakers. Stereo sounded great !!!! Then I put the window crank handles back on only to find that they hit the speakers and I could only roll down the window 3/4 of a turn. I think I drove the car for 2 years like that. Every time I had to pay a toll, I would have to pull forward a little and open up the door to pay. Also, when I had the top down, I always had to have the windows up !!! What a young dumbass !!!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Used a 2x4 jammed between the lca and frame rail to prop the car up after it snapped a t bar.....drove it like that for weeks! Tuff on wheel bearings tho....rode like a buckboard too!

Installed an edelbrock pro-flo 1000 on a crusty old carter. You know, for MO-POWER! One little backfire started an underhood fire in the Denny's parking lot. Screw those filters.

1002.jpg

img002.jpg
Traded off in 1977 a 71 V code track pack , 4 speed , equip GTX at a used car lot in Des Moines on Merle Hay Rd. There is a Quick Trip C store at that location now but if I look real hard I can still see it sitting there. Years later a buddy of mine did some research on it and said it was 1 of 80 built B5 blue , white vinyl top, pistol grip, no console. :BangHead:

Mine was not following the rules to start my blown 440 correctly in my 68 pro street Road Runner. held the throttle plates open while cranking it over one time, it sneezed kicked back on the starter and sheared the starter ear(MOUNT) of the newly rollerized 727.

Other was a 70 lemans Sport (first car) 17 years old I was . it had no posi but quickly learned if I rolled it backwards and neutral dropped it into drive it would light up both tires and sound like a pro stock lol but one time the last time it blew the spider gears right through the cast housing of that 10 bolt. LOL
Same car took the exhaust manifolds off with intentions to install headers. figure start it up with no manifolds. man it sounded wicked so I took it for a blast up the road when I got back into the driveway my ears where ringing,my mom standing at the doorway yell "what the hell are you doing " and every dog in the surrounding 2 miles where barking and carrying on... car felt like it picked up 50 hp !!!lol the things kids do.. WELL THIS KID.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back