• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

who else had a big hood scoop on their car in the '70s-80

polywideblock

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score
who else had a big hood scoop on their car in the '70s-'80s
1709339375795.png

Yep. I would still run that hood, but one day I forgot to pin it and it destroyed the hood as I started to drive. Didn't damage the car thankfully.

firebird-restoration-67.jpg

This is the biggest scoop I ever had on any of my cars. I did have a Tunnel Ram dual quad intake on my 70 Charger R/T SE back in the day, but not with a hood scoop.

20220821_162058.jpg

20180326_162153.jpg

8250453-DSC00666 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Nope: But I hunted down cars that had them with this car. I enjoyed taking the posers down. There were a few cars that needed the scoops and ran good but not too many.

oldmopar5.jpg

A friend of mine had a V6 Cutless with one of those hoodscoops on it. There was no hole cut in the hood,it was just rivetted onto the flat hood. Another friend of mine broke it off with a baseball bat one night after we drank far too much! The scoop was full of mail. People wrote him notes,and put junk mail and flyers in it! We laughed our asses off!

does this count? I drove it daily (weather permitting) for about 15 years

amxclean005.jpg

1969 HS, 1962 Polara 500, 413 with long rams, I still actually have this hood I built. Related to another thread running here, I was actually able to lift off the steel/fiberglass hood off myself, but those days were over many decades ago.

62-Polara-500-Original-3.jpg

Last edited:
Two rides from the past. My Duster with a Six Pack scoop on a glass hood and my Challenger with a T/A hood.

Scan duster.jpeg

Scan duster 2.jpeg

1709388753742.png

This isn't the car I had, but I don't have a picture of it handy. Mine was all red, no two tone, but the repaint someone did they did a black stripe that covered the scoop and related hood area. It looked sharp, they found red seats to go into the grey interior too. Anyway.....
From the factory that scoop is actually a detriment because there is no actual hole in the hood. It's all dress up show.
Mine was swapped to a 351W. Cut a hole in the hood and rolled the edge(looked factory!) so that with a slim air filter housing(just a generic type look alike edelbrock style open air filter element with a hat style) the factory hood would still clear.
From the front you could see the pleats in the air filter.

So it went from basically an aero-catch detriment to almost a ram air type.

Auto Transport Service
Back