• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who else has an Echo Dot/Alexa?

Ghostrider 67

Jack Stand Racer #6..and proud of it!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
This thing is awesome!

kVUfBnXl.jpg

I've got one and can't believe how many times she starts talking in response to the television! Narcissistic bitch thinks EVERYONE is talking to her! Oh, and she can't access Google :-(

OK, I give up, what is it?

It's a WiFi enabled device that can control other WiFi devices in your home, connect to the internet to get weather, news, music, etc., order products directly from Amazon (if you've ordered them previously), and all kinds of other nonsensical stuff. Some people swear by the damn things but mine pretty much sits there and talks to the TV (she'd voice activated and literally thinks the TV is talking to her).

I guess if I was more tech-minded I'd get more use out of Alexa, but as it is I'm still not so old and/or lazy that I mind getting up to dim the lights (which Alexa can do).

OK, I give up, what is it?
It's a home assistant. She plays music, games, has info, news etc. Lots of apps available to have it do all manner of stuff. Ours has been very handy. You talk to her, her name is Alexa. Just place it somewhere in what ever room and say, " Alexa, play the Beatles" She will answer, " Shuffling the Beatles songs." and play them. You can tell her to go to the next song or back or request a single song. Ask her what the weather is going to be, ask for a news flash update. gets you the headlines. Play Jeopardy, 20 questions, quizzes, quotes...jokes..Never leave your chair or be busy doing other stuff, hands full or dirty , in the garage, just talk to her. We have another do dad that you use your I phone and can turn off and on the lights etc...connect via Bluetooth to other devices and remote speakers etc..

Reads books to my wife while she's doing quilting, or cooking etc. Say yer elbow deep into your Mopar and decide you want to rock out, just ask.

I've got one and can't believe how many times she starts talking in response to the television! Narcissistic bitch thinks EVERYONE is talking to her! Oh, and she can't access Google :-(
We found that out too, but we don't have a TV on this floor, my wife was playing Jeopardy and I was helping her with answers and getting them wrong. Alexa took my answers and she lost.

Makes a great Christmas gift....;) pretty sure 747 needs one in his new garage, RC too....

My brother argues with his TV, but he's about a bubble and a half out of plumb.

Makes a great Christmas gift....;) pretty sure 747 needs one in his new garage, RC too....
I believe 747 will most likely have built one into a custom roof console or some other craziness by this time; the most crazed fabber I know of!

I have 3 females in my house now that i cant get to do what i ask...im certainly not going to add another!!! I get too many "oh i didnt hear you..." or "thats not what i heard you say..." I would probably loose it if i had to keep repeating my self to an AI box...

It's a WiFi enabled device that can control other WiFi devices in your home, connect to the internet to get weather, news, music, etc., order products directly from Amazon (if you've ordered them previously), and all kinds of other nonsensical stuff. Some people swear by the damn things but mine pretty much sits there and talks to the TV (she'd voice activated and literally thinks the TV is talking to her).

I guess if I was more tech-minded I'd get more use out of Alexa, but as it is I'm still not so old and/or lazy that I mind getting up to dim the lights (which Alexa can do).

It's a home assistant. She plays music, games, has info, news etc. Lots of apps available to have it do all manner of stuff. Ours has been very handy. You talk to her, her name is Alexa. Just place it somewhere in what ever room and say, " Alexa, play the Beatles" She will answer, " Shuffling the Beatles songs." and play them. You can tell her to go to the next song or back or request a single song. Ask her what the weather is going to be, ask for a news flash update. gets you the headlines. Play Jeopardy, 20 questions, quizzes, quotes...jokes..Never leave your chair or be busy doing other stuff, hands full or dirty , in the garage, just talk to her. We have another do dad that you use your I phone and can turn off and on the lights etc...connect via Bluetooth to other devices and remote speakers etc..

image.jpg

That thing would really mess up someone who's already hearing voices.

I saw that and I think it's neat. However, I'm too concerned about the machines taking over and I feel that is a large step in that direction. :lol:

a bubble and a half out of plum.now that's funny:lol:

We have one. Though I didn't think it was worth the $180 we paid, it is handy. We tell it to set an alarm or a timer, to check the news or sports scores and to play music.

Auto Transport Service
Back