• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will 73 bucket seat foam work for 71 covers?

USatC

Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
I have a set of 73 molar bucket seats but want to cover them with 71 covers. Will that work? I hear the 73 foam is smaller but you might be able to get an upholstery shop to add foam.

I believe the frames are identical but the foam is different but can't be to difficult to accomplish

Frames are most certainly not the same. Not even close.
Some info here
http://wichargerguy.proboards.com/thread/17609/bucket-seat-comparison?page=4
There are some slight variations to the design, but my experience has been frames from 1970-1980 are all about the same. I put 72 foam and covers on a set of 76 frames and they fit fine. Are they the same frames under the foam and covers? No, but with the foam and covers on there's no way to tell there's a difference.

There are some slight variations to the design, but my experience has been frames from 1970-1980 are all about the same. I put 72 foam and covers on a set of 76 frames and they fit fine. Are they the same frames under the foam and covers? No, but with the foam and covers on there's no way to tell there's a difference.

Sure....the 72 foam will go on a 76 frame.
But that same 72 foam won't work on a 71 frame.
71 is a much different animal.

If you look at the covers for a 71, 72, or even 76 seats, you'll see they are all the same shape and size. The design changes, but the size and shape, which is what matters, is the same. For example, this is what a 76 seat looks like...

20150816_082838_zpsfynw1w3n.jpg

20150816_082849_zpsau4ziqza.jpg

This what a 72 seat looks like...

$_58.jpg

This what a 71 seat looks like...

119-51792.jpg

This is what 72 covers and foam look like on a 76 frame...

20150816_153040_zps0diw8xwn.jpg

It is the foam, not the frame, that determines what the size and shape will be as the frame is smaller than the foam.

Last edited:
If you look at the covers for a 71, 72, or even 76 seats, you'll see they are all the same shape and size.

It is the foam, not the frame, that determines what the size and shape will be as the frame is smaller than the foam.

All I am saying is that both 71 frames and 71 foam are MUCH different than the later years.

I don't think that it is a safe assumption to say that you absolutely can use 71 covers because their visual similarity

I once started putting the orange and black 71 RR covers on 72 and later frames and foam.
Unfortunately, that project was aborted due to the shitty PUI covers I had been sent.
The fronts were missing listing wire provisions (kind of important) and the rear/upper cover was way to loose.

All I am saying is that both 71 frames and 71 foam are MUCH different than the later years.

I don't think that it is a safe assumption to say that you absolutely can use 71 covers because their visual similarity

I once started putting the orange and black 71 RR covers on 72 and later frames and foam.
Unfortunately, that project was aborted due to the shitty PUI covers I had been sent.
The fronts were missing listing wire provisions (kind of important) and the rear/upper cover was way to loose.
I agree the foam is very different from year to year, which is why you need the right foam for the covers you are using. Foam is far more important than the seat frame. And no listing wires is a definite no go. Were the wires missing from the runs they slide into, or were the runs missing as well?

Another thing guys get wrapped around the axle on are the seat tracks. Seat tracks are different between some years as well, but you can get around that problem by measuring the distance between the seat mounting holes on the floor, and cutting off one of the studs from the seat track and welding a new stud in the position you need, or drilling a hole and sliding a bolt through the track. Lot cheaper than paying $$$$ for a correct-year set of tracks.

Were the wires missing from the runs they slide into, or were the runs missing as well?

The shitty PUI covers I bought were missing the upper runs, on backside of cover, that the listing wires slide into.
Without that upper run, the headrests don't look too good.
It was a case where I thought I was buying Legendary covers and the seller shipped me PUI

The foam is very unique to the covers. The shape of the headrest areas is different, so that might cause an appearance issue issue.

those are 71 se seats

Auto Transport Service
Back