• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wire Size - .030 or .025

stanhope55

Local time
12:32 AM
Reaction score
I am still playing with my welder(using co2) and have noticed that my Voltage for .030 is a fair bit lower than with .025 for the same thickness.

Is it fair to say .030 is a better option for spot welds and panel/rust replacement as it will require less heat ?

Or is .025 the best option ?

Any thoughts ?

You want to use the 023 or 025 for sheet metal. You can also use a welding spoon behind the metal to dissipate heat to prevent burn through.

I use .023 in my Lincoln SP 135 (110).

Depends on your welding style and works best for you. Play around with each, see what you like. All I use is .030-.032 wire for automotive sheetmetal. I run a Miller on 110 in the garage, 220 at my shop.

What is the difference really between Lincoln Wire S6 and L56 ?

Does it matter which i use for patch/panel repair ?

I'm sure you will find it easier to use the .025 on sheet metal. I have an older 220v Miller and use both wire sizes but primarily .030. One of the best pieces of advice I got when I started welding many years ago is if it sounds like frying bacon when you are welding you are close with your heat and wire speed adjustments. It just takes practice. Good luck.

Stanhope 55, you would really benefit from going to your local welding supply store and if needed buy a pamphlet or book called a weld directory that prettymuch explains- recommends compatability and general knowledge of welding consumables and products. most times they give this information away to customers and their is ALOT of help for you guys who are just starting out to learn mig welding than trying to get tips and general knowhow from people that BASICALLY know squat to a more or lesser degree about welding. always educate yourself the best that you can and that would be my first stop. good luck and don't give up! john.

Auto Transport Service
Back