• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which would you buy?

Bb70charger500

Local time
9:18 PM
Reaction score
So I've been shopping for a new old daily driver (I want to sell my ram) anyways I have it narrowed down to these 3 cars one sticks out a bit more to me for cool ness and reliability but it has multi problems! So car one is a 1961 caddy 4 door not org at all . This car has a chebby 350 and a turbo 400 with a shift kit motor looks clean and new but no info on it . Trans is newly rebuilt rear hasn't been touched . Brakes and tires all new ! The car drives OK has a hell of a vibration moving stopped doesn't matter. The car has door poppers on it and the rears sent working guy says lube them up blah blah . Car had ac installed 2 years ago blower motor was not very impressive and air was as hot as hell there was a Freon leak at pipes I saw . Inspection cover was missing off trans the paint was a 7 out of 10 he said it was recently painted ... windows worked up and down wings didn't work all elc and for the most part it's a rust free car! Little surface under the beck of the hood but can be reversed if tended to now. That's about it brakes were a bit touchy power brakes power steering . Motor looked like a zz4 crate motor to me .
Second car is a corenet 1956 not much info guy is very shady and is 4.5 hour's south but it looks nice I'd say to good to be true but the people do exist so no scam I'd say maybe just old . The paint is fresh and I'm told show car paint . It has a super red ram hemi in it! They say I could drive it home ! The hemi I like but it's deff seen some miles so who knows.
And lastly is the 48 desoto again looks to good to be true for under $5000 guy says rust free never had any . Runs and drives great I can't drive it home tires are dry rotted. it's supposed org miles survivor car with a recent paint I believe 4 years ago .again not much info on this one guy said come tomorrow if not someone will be there mon.

So I like all 3 but I want a reliable driver and as much as I hate to say it out of the 3 it looks like the chebby. what do you guys think? The caddy was $10k he dropped to $7500I'm thinking $6000 the red one is just under $5000 and the hemi car is $8500 no wiggle room he said !
00U0U_7ZgDz8t2XDG_600x450.jpg
01717_83PMrliifeJ_600x450.jpg
00U0U_4DZxTsDPq9G_600x450.jpg
01313_9QGXwIkVCE6_600x450.jpg
00s0s_cstSErS3UAB_600x450.jpg

The 48 DeSoto would not be daily driver friendly. 6 volt positive ground with A generator. King pin front suspension , and brakes have two Wheel cylinders on each wheel. You must have a drum puller to get rear drums off. Not many people around that know how to work on them anymore unless you can do all maintenance yourself. Then parts are not readily available either. Fun cars to drive, but the other two would make better choices for a daily driver.

None of them as a daily driver, but I might consider the '56 Coronet if wanted a classic for weekend cruising.

For the asking prices of those cars you could get a very nice C Body "fuselage" design car. I used to have a '72 Fury III with a 360 and it was totally reliable and dependable. It was my daily driver for 5+ years. I sold it in 1991 when I moved from Texas to the Pacific Northwest.

61/62 caddy is one of my favorite gm products.

FYI the Coronet is a poly, not a Hemi.

Who doesn't like suicide doors?

Tough call but neither will replace a truck.

Thanks guys I can work on the old stuff I've built a few older cars . The 6v is a pain and would get upgraded . I thought those spark plugs looked a bit low I thought it was missing a cover or something .
Don't forget I have the deuce and a half for a truck still and I have my old general d coming back again 73 d100 360 4 speed
So may or may not sell that one the newer ram is nice no problem s ac ect. But god is it so bland and boring to drive. And I honestly don't use it much for truck purpose s anymore and I really can use a 4 door car ....

I made my decision ,I really like that caddy but ! Mopar or no car and suicide doors are bad ***. The desoto can easily be converted to 12v if it isn't already as it has a big Battery in it . And I have a 360 a o.d. 4 speed and a 8 3/4 hanging around so I think if it looks as good in person as it does in the pictures I will buy it . There is a sweet 61 Newport in Tampa area I've been looking at but guy is firm on his price and it needs quite a bit of work to make it road ready

I would buy the Cadillac for $6,500, spend $1,500 getting a decent gloss black paint job on it, put it up for sale in ads in New York and New Jersey, sell it for $25k delivered to some goodfellow wannabe up there, and then buy a better car with the money.

Auto Transport Service
Back