• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wondering about that Stance Life?

Yeah I was looking at that... quite the thing.
But I'll throw out that it didn't change the ratio.. if you look at the drivers side, the tierod is still in stock position. So everything else is going to follow that
Hmm, I'd love to see the engineering on that....
With the Pitman and Idler where they are, The ratio is different. It doesn't matter where the tie rods attach. They just respond.
The Pitman and Idler are closer to the pivot point as opposed to further out like a Fast Ratio.

I was surprised at how different the suspension on a "stock car" was.

suspension_01.jpeg

suspension_03.jpeg

suspension_09.jpeg

suspension_06.jpeg

They dropped the rear that much, but still managed to get a raked stance, because they'd dropped the front even further. I don't think I can get quite the same effect with a street suspension, but it sure does look good!

I remember living in Maryland when the kids first started slamming their Japanese cars. The minute a cop saw one they would get pulled over and a roll back was called. They were determined to be dangerous to drive without having a proper suspension. Several cases when they had bottomed out and lost control.

Here in my town (Pennsylvania) there's quite a few running around and no way they would pass the annual safety inspection. Cops don't seem to even notice them unless it's a traffic violation. The large majority of them have obnoxious exhaust systems that are loud and backfire repeatedly like a shotgun going off. No way that would pass inspection either. Makes you wonder how they are getting by with it.

Yeah we did stupid stuff with our cars when we were young, some not too safe but the law would sooner or later bring it to your attention and you would have it corrected. Open exhaust on a V8 sounds pretty good, not so on a four banger. Or a diesel pickup. Man they sound ridiculous also.

I call that the “Dyson” look, it looks like a Dyson vacuum cleaner with that big ball to steer it.

I agree that they look stupid but the dragster look from the 70s was bad for handling too. Raising the rear 8 inches had a drastic effect on front end alignment.

...and the quest for 3 inch wide front tires.

Hmm, I'd love to see the engineering on that....
With the Pitman and Idler where they are, The ratio is different. It doesn't matter where the tie rods attach. They just respond.
The Pitman and Idler are closer to the pivot point as opposed to further out like a Fast Ratio.
The reason I mentioned that is; imagine the center link is gone. Assuming the same length pitman arm.. (!).. the drivers side wheel is going to turn at the same ratio as stock.
The 2 attaching points of the center link moved down the lever the same amount. They will move the same distance.

It may alter the toe-out on turns? Probably a simple calculus equation but I'm out lol

I think
I was surprised at how different the suspension on a "stock car" was.

View attachment 1578546

View attachment 1578547

View attachment 1578550

View attachment 1578551

They dropped the rear that much, but still managed to get a raked stance, because they'd dropped the front even further. I don't think I can get quite the same effect with a street suspension, but it sure does look good!
it’s impressive how close to factory style the suspension is.

Offset shackles and an extra pair of shocks in the rear.
Some changes to the steering ratio and a massive sway bar up front.
Factory style torsion bar, LCA.

A few years later they were all tube chassis coil suspension.

I have the perfect Charger if someone wants to build a repilca of the Mad Max Charger!

View attachment 1578610

View attachment 1578611

I thought about Mad Maxing out my 72- matte black paint, roof spoiler on the rusted out roof, wheel well flares on the cobbled quarters, zoomie pipes...

Has anyone priced zoomies lately?

About as much or more than I have in the whole car!

I think

it’s impressive how close to factory style the suspension is.

Offset shackles and an extra pair of shocks in the rear.
Some changes to the steering ratio and a massive sway bar up front.
Factory style torsion bar, LCA.

A few years later they were all tube chassis coil suspension.
Right to his last Dodge Magnum, Richard was still using torsion bars.

That looks like a TRW strut rod bushing which is attached to what looks like a piece of the original k-frame.

suspension_03.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back