• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yankee Express RestoMod Project

What made you think of using the Audi stuff ?

just curious

What made you think of using the Audi stuff ?

just curious
Chip Foose. The 1965 Impala Imposter. I then went to the local salvage yard with a list of measurements and tape measure and looked in every car and truck out there. About 230 vehicles. Strangely enough the Audi was the only one with the dash at the right length. Plus I liked the way it is laid out and it's appearance. I suppose if there had been a Mercedes coupe there that had the right numbers it might be that instead. I did end up having to shift the dash to the right about an inch and a half so the console would center up on the Coronet tunnel. The Audi was designed to give the passenger a little extra room. The other difference is that the distance from floor to lower windshield lip is greater in the Coronet by about 6 inches. As you can see in these pics I took today the center console is sitting a few inches higher than normal. I like it though, it kinda makes the space into two separate cozy areas. All of the radio and whatnot buttons are well within reach too. The power seats make reaching the gas pedal and steering wheel easy.

WP_20161106_16_42_31_Pro.jpg WP_20161106_16_57_00_Pro.jpg WP_20161106_16_41_56_Pro.jpg WP_20161106_16_41_56_Pro.jpg WP_20161106_16_46_41_Pro.jpg

I got the deck lid covered in primer and the tail end of the quarters where the bumper end wraps around that I redid to follow the shape of the 70 Roadrunner bumper too. I began sorting out the roadster panel that goes behind the seats and back to the bottom of the rear windshield. The shape of it is very much like the deck lid of a 66 T-Bird. Turned around backwards...lol. The 67 Satellite rear seat topper is wing shaped and will have a depressed area down the middle that tapers off at the window. I am working on making the upper metal panel on the inside of the quarter window, that sits above the vinyl door panel/armrest section, fit down over the attachment points for the wing base. I got the right side trimmed and set in place temporarily so I can start making a paper template of the left and right end sections of the roadster panel where they will connect with the door panel. It's a compound curved area that will require at least three pieces of metal on each side. I have to fuss around and get the curves just right and the opposing angles as well. Fun stuff!! The center section of it is easy, 5 pieces. I also bought a set of rear bumper mounts for the 70 Roadrunner bumper.

WP_20161130_15_11_26_Pro.jpg WP_20161130_15_11_36_Pro.jpg WP_20161130_15_11_47_Pro.jpg WP_20161130_15_12_26_Pro.jpg 1964-1966-Ford-Thunderbird-Convertible-18.jpg s-l1600.jpg

I had an idea this morning while laying in bed and contemplating getting up. Those gas caps that spin on and then pop down level with the surrounding surface are cool but do they come in different sizes? Like 6 inch across and round? If I could get one like that I would use it on the top surface of the left quarter next to the trunk lid for my gas filler. The surface is slightly curved and I would have to be able to spin it a little once closed to line it up with the panel, and have enough friction to have it remain in place. Any thoughts?

Ghost sounds like a great idea :thumbsup:

check this out, I just Google searched custom Gas filler caps

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=custom_gas_filler_caps&tbm=shop
I spoke to the guy at Filler Neck Supply Co. about it and he said I'm not going to find one that is 6 inches across and pops up and is smooth without handles or bolts etc. The best I can do is get one that I can then slice off the top of the pop up and fasten my smooth panel to it and adjust height and positioning until it " Disappears " in the panel leaving a very small gap around the edge. The top will also have to be slightly curved to match the quarter surface. I originally wanted to use the Jet Fuel Only cap but felt it's too gimmicky.

I ran into a problem today. I received the 70 RR rear bumper mounts today and put 'em on the bumper. When I set the assembly up onto the Express I found that the mount face where it bolts to the rear frame rail ends up about 2 inches below where it needs to be. So, I see my options as : A. don't use the bumper. B. slice the half round mounting surface plates away from the rear rail face and shift them down to match the bumper mount positions. C. Weld a 3" frame rail underneath the one on the car and bolt the bumper mounts to it. Anybody have any other solutions?

Great build, I enjoyed ready through it. Look forward to seeing more.

Is that a roadrunner hood you used ? I have one I was thinking about skinning to see what it looks like.

Is that a roadrunner hood you used ? I have one I was thinking about skinning to see what it looks like.
Nope. Looks like one though don't it? I sliced the 67 Coronet skin away from the hood and fabricated a new skin with the cowl on it and welded it to the Coronet frame. Cheaper than buying one and I got to shape it myself. Still have build a insert to go into the rear end opening in the cowl.

I have been told that a 70 RR hood is the right shape, width and thickness but is about 3/4 of an inch longer.

I have been told that a 70 RR hood is the right shape, width and thickness but is about 3/4 of an inch longer.
I have one leftover from another build, I planned on skinning it today but didn't get to it, I'm 3 days over on a vette project. Wish people knew what they wanted. I like your hood.

I know, right? People change their minds at the weirdest times. Just make sure you make them pay for it. Thanks about the hood, I originally had two scoops but it didn't grow on me so I changed it. I'm going for a very sinister look, almost evil. lol. Did u see that I made the first 8 inches of the hood stationary? Those hoods are heavy bastards so I shortened the amount to be lifted since it's going to tilt forward.

I know, right? People change their minds at the weirdest times. Just make sure you make them pay for it. Thanks about the hood, I originally had two scoops but it didn't grow on me so I changed it. I'm going for a very sinister look, almost evil. lol. Did u see that I made the first 8 inches of the hood stationary? Those hoods are heavy bastards so I shortened the amount to be lifted since it's going to tilt forward.
I did, thought the front filler panel was a good idea, and nobody will know how to open your hood. It reminded me of the 72 roadrunner I had. I like the back bumper idea, I moved my reverse lights from the deck lid to the rear bumper to. Saw that on some drag cars.

I did, thought the front filler panel was a good idea, and nobody will know how to open your hood. It reminded me of the 72 roadrunner I had. I like the back bumper idea, I moved my reverse lights from the deck lid to the rear bumper to. Saw that on some drag cars.
Do u have a build thread? Where can I see your project? Oh, my reverse lights are up in the center of the tail light panel. The reverse light holes in the bumper will be exhaust exits.

Do u have a build thread? Where can I see your project? Oh, my reverse lights are up in the center of the tail light panel. The reverse light holes in the bumper will be exhaust exits.
66 coronet (post) in projects

Is your trunk floor stock ? I thought they sat to high for that, be cool though.

Is your trunk floor stock ? I thought they sat to high for that, be cool though.
No, I cut the tire well out of the floor and will replace it with a flat road runner floor pan section. I will have to cut two holes into the rear cross frame rail though and stiffen that up to compensate for the holes. Fuel tank is in trunk over the axles.

No, I cut the tire well out of the floor and will replace it with a flat road runner floor pan section. I will have to cut two holes into the rear cross frame rail though and stiffen that up to compensate for the holes. Fuel tank is in trunk over the axles.
Gotcha and now remember seeing it. Nice.

Auto Transport Service
Back