• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yellow Zinc Chromate Spray Paint

The Rebel

Local time
7:30 PM
Reaction score
While I know the motors were plated with this color looking for something close I can use in the meantime rather than bare metal.

Almost looks like a Gold, Brass color.
upload_2017-9-29_9-12-18.png
upload_2017-9-29_9-12-38.png

Eastwood might have something. The thing I hate about fiz can stuff is a little gas or petroleum product gets splattered on it and it comes right off.

Don't they carry anodizing stuff?

I'll probably go with something like this from my model building days but on a 1:1 Scale, LOL! Worked at a hobby shop in HS was the best job except for Christmas, what a zoo!

upload_2017-9-29_10-35-21.png

I was experimenting with paints trying to simulate cosmoline. It kind of resembles the chromate.

Just a light dusting of the gold to let the bare metal show thru. Then apply two coats of the VHT satin clear. You'll have to experiment with the color you want to end up with.

20170712_155736.jpg

20170716_161419.jpg

Eastwood had a 3 step system. You'd spray gold and then a candy red and another candy color?
I used clear lacquer back when it was yellowish. Now it's clear not like the old stuff.

Just got back from a Hobby Shop & bought a rattle can of the Flake Gold which is almost the exact same color. As I'm a printer I brought my color book with me to match. Will post on my project thread how it comes out.

I've used different spray paints before to get it. Some of the "chrome" or "gold chrome" paints are great bases for that.

So what brand and specifically which color gives a true silver chromate look. . Like the master cylinder cover ? Everything I find in silver paint, looks like paint. Unless things have changed, the Eastwood paint does not look right.........................MO

Hey Mo. It's more of a gold/brass color. Here's the final result.

upload_2017-10-4_8-21-27.png

So what brand and specifically which color gives a true silver chromate look. . Like the master cylinder cover ? Everything I find in silver paint, looks like paint. Unless things have changed, the Eastwood paint does not look right.........................MO

I have used the paint. Check out this video of a guy that does carbs and small parts. Pretty cool process. Eastwood has paints and plating kits also.

It's all good MO. That's why this form exists to share & spread knowledge.

Sorry to hi jack your thread. I just didn't want to start a new one for the related question about a good silver cadium paint. ...........................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back