• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘62 Dart fender tag help

PatsPolara

Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
Working on a ‘62 Dart 440, can anyone help decode the fender tag?

First line, 1 through 0: Blank

Second line, A through Z:

A=1
J=4
V=2

Third line:

SO NUMBER: 0425 4015
BDY: 532
TRM: 812
PNT: FF1

SO number. The number assigned to the vehicle to keep track of it, so the proper equipment gets installed, etc. O425 is the scheduled production date. April 25 1962. 4015 is a sequence number. BDY. 5 is Dart 8cyl. 3 is dart 440. 2 is two door hard top.TRM. 81 is vinyl bench seat. 2 is the colour, which is green or green and beige. PNT. FF1 IS a monotone light green colour. A-1 is closed crankcase ventilation. J-4 , I am not sure, but probably has something to do with the heater. V-2, I am not sure. The info I have is quite old. No guarantees, but I believe the first bit is accurate.

You need the fourth number of the vin before decoding the fender tag. The fourth number being the assembly plant. Each plant coded the fender tags differently.

1 = Lynch Road
2 = Hamtramck
3 = Jefferson
4 = Belvedere
5 = Los Angeles
6 = Newark
7 = St Louis

Where they placed the codes on the plate could change with the plant, but the codes were the same. The bottom line on the plate were pretty standard when comparing the same year. I said I was unsure of the last three.

Sorry Pat, I don't have any LA numbers. Might have to do some comparisons with other LA built Dodges. That's how alot of these codes are known. Maybe someone else might have them.

Auto Transport Service
Back