• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘66 Charger owner Alabama

BamaCharger66

Local time
3:40 PM
Reaction score
Hello all. Originally from Alabama. Just recently retired active duty Army after 25 years. Now retired and back in Alabama.

Lifelong lover of classic cars, trucks, and motorcycles. I've owned a few motorcycles but have since sold. Then, I transitioned to classic Toyota Land Cruisers. I own a few currently. What I've never owned is a classic car. Years ago, at 14/15 years old, I used to buy the local bulletin board and go straight to the classic car section and dream of one day owning one. Well, two days ago, at 45 years old, I bought one.

Saw a MP ad for a 1966 Dodge Charger in N Georgia. Car is very complete and original so I jumped on the deal. It does have a slightly later 383. The bill of sale has an E or F designator for the engine making it an original 318 or 361. So, almost glad to have the 383. This old gal needs lots but things like all interior lights work, headlights work. I have 50lbs of oil pressure on start up. Still needs sorting out. Wiring, cooling, carb adjustments, new tires, trim put back on, and a good deep cleaning. In 48 hours i have:
Changed the oil/filter
added new fuel line and filter
replaced cap, rotor, spark plugs
added trans fluid
Ordered new fuel tank and sending unit
Ordered new brake booster and wheel cylinders

Future plans:
Clean her up really well
install new tires
Sort the brakes and electrical
Sort the cooling, carb, timing
Potentially rebuild steering and suspension
Install new fuel cell and sending unit
And then just enjoy the heck out of her.
1A5AC4F0-552E-4353-BC4F-6791B686C941.jpeg
7B32201A-319E-4188-8100-27164C793D20.jpeg

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. That looks like a very solid 1966 Charger you found. I see it is Daffodil Yellow, a colour not often seen on these Chargers. I have a 1967 Coronet R/T in the same colour, and really like it. There is a lot of knowledge and help on this forum.

Welcome from Illinois!! Thank you for your long term service and congratulations on your retirement and 1st Mopar!

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. That looks like a very solid 1966 Charger you found. I see it is Daffodil Yellow, a colour not often seen on these Chargers. I have a 1967 Coronet R/T in the same colour, and really like it. There is a lot of knowledge and help on this forum.
Thx for the welcome! Unfortunately, it’s a repaint. I initially thought it was original. The fender tag says she was originally bronze with a 361. Now she’s yellow with a later 383 with 4 barrel. She is solid and was fairly inexpensive. So, I drove 12 hours round trip to get her.

Quick question (first of a thousand I’m sure): Can I manually flip the headlights out until I sort out the wiring/motors? Thx!

Welcome!!
( I too am a Charger guy,)
There are two flat head screws beside each head lite bucket, behind the grille, lossen off and manually spin the buckets.
There's an 87 percent chance that the screws, or buckets, are seized solid.
All you can do is try.

Welcome, I'm in Alabama too. What neck of the woods are you now?
Of all the 66-67's I've had and have a Charger is one that I haven't. There is a way to get those lights rotated, but I'm sure a 66-67 Charger owner will chime in.

Welcome . Yes to manually rotate the headlights.
Look through the grille.
You will see a bracket that holds the headlight in place inboard side.
It has a clamp like a u-joint clamp.
Top and bottom blots with a slot.
Loosen them off rotate the headlights.
UNHOOK the connections first.
Repair contact Topher McGuinnes Headlight motor man (sp).

Welcome, I'm in Alabama too. What neck of the woods are you now?
Of all the 66-67's I've had and have a Charger is one that I haven't. There is a way to get those lights rotated, but I'm sure a 66-67 Charger owner will chime in.
Originally from just north of Montgomery. Now in Enterprise. You?

Welcome from Missouri!! Thank you for your service!!

welcome to FBBO thank you for your service also nice looking charger

Greetings from northern MI.

What an awesome first classic muscle car to own. Enjoy.
And I also thank you for your years of service.

Welcome from Upstate NY.
Looks like a good one.
You can also just unplug the motors at the 3 wire connector and put 12 Volts right on the open or close wire to the motor.
Then you will know if they are any good.
The blk with a white tracer is ground don't put 12V on that wire.

Auto Transport Service
Back