• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘66 Coronet Vent Window Reassembly

Daniel Krause

Local time
10:17 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,
Reassembling vent wing assembly after taking it apart to have the chrome wing portion rechromed. Ground off the rivet during disassembly, and watched a video where 3M Weatherstrip and Gasket adhesive was used to fuse the chrome wing back onto the triangular vent frame. Didn’t work for me. Made a mess.
Any suggestions to join these pieces?

I left as much as possible of the rivets. I reassembled with good old jb weld, welding vise grips and paint sticks to prevent damage. Let them sit for several days. They are holding up fine.

I left as much as possible of the rivets. I reassembled with good old jb weld, welding vise grips and paint sticks to prevent damage. Let them sit for several days. They are holding up fine.
Which JB Weld product? There at many.
Thanks

Yes, I only use their max strength red and black tubes. It was advertised as the strongest bond and longest time to fully cure.

If you took care when disassembling you should have some rivet to smash one last time. The 3M product you’re looking for is probably an epoxy. This is what I used, should ever come apart, ever.
25CBAB47-D9AE-49BD-A3DC-0F3E7219B60D.jpeg
E1E771D4-184A-4E87-B625-DA91A0A17B2F.jpeg
BCDEAD3C-5D0B-4235-B1C2-29B83C0A40D8.jpeg

If you took care when disassembling you should have some rivet to smash one last time. The 3M product you’re looking for is probably an epoxy. This is what I used, should ever come apart, ever.
View attachment 1362633View attachment 1362634View attachment 1362635
I have some remnants (nubs) left on the chrome wings. I am clueless as to how to use them during reassembly,
other than as guides that slide into the holes of the vent frame. Not sure how I “smash” them. They are basically solid - don’t see how another component would slide into them, if that’s what you’re referring to. Mine look like yours in the pic

I have some remnants (nubs) left on the chrome wings. I am clueless as to how to use them during reassembly,
other than as guides that slide into the holes of the vent frame. Not sure how I “smash” them. They are basically solid - don’t see how another component would slide into them, if that’s what you’re referring to. Mine look like yours in the pic
It looks like a plus (+) shaped tool was originally used to swedge this plugs into the frame. After I glued it together, I clamped the frame securely and then tool a chisel a split the studs a little. You’re trying to mushroom the top. If you’re using a very high bond epoxy it shouldn’t come apart anyway.

My 66 had 2 sets of rivet heads on the chrome and only one set in each group was mushroomed originally. After chroming I set the other unused set in each group to secure the pieces together. I wouldn’t have thought that was unusual.

It looks like a plus (+) shaped tool was originally used to swedge this plugs into the frame. After I glued it together, I clamped the frame securely and then tool a chisel a split the studs a little. You’re trying to mushroom the top. If you’re using a very high bond epoxy it shouldn’t come apart anyway.
I had a feeling that’s what was meant.
Thank you

Those that are using epoxy, how much product is adequate? The entire mating surfaces, or just the rivet nubs?

Those that are using epoxy, how much product is adequate? The entire mating surfaces, or just the rivet nubs?
They probably don’t need to come apart during your lifetime so don't skimp. That stuff that I have a picture of is some aerospace grade stuff, very high bond. I only used around the areas where the pins were but I also swedged the pins a little too.

Auto Transport Service
Back