• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1,300HP Mercury Comet BRAKE FAILURE CRASH

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:39 PM
Reaction score

I think uncle tony and the people in the comments are a bit too hard on these guys.
(I enjoy watching autotopiala by the way)

Yes, keep driving a 1300hp car with sticky throttle in public traffic isn't a great idea.
They should've at least stopped when the brake smell occured. (Keep driving until then would've been risky enough.)

But it's not like they did it on purpose.
They most likely haven't been aware of the risk their taking. If it sticked at more throttle they would've probably died.

I hope but don't know if i would've reacted right in this situation. (When the brakes finally failed)
I mean the brake failure and throttle sticking could've appeared right out of the blue aswell.
I don't need 1300hp, though but risky enough with 1/3rd that power aswell.

I looked but did not find that.
Well might be a good idea to merge the threads? :)
No need to merge. There's just your original post which includes Uncle Tony's video link. The UT link will just turn the thread into a Tony bash anyway.

No need to merge. There's just your original post which includes Uncle Tony's video link. The UT link will just turn the thread into a Tony bash anyway.
Make's sense...
And awaaaay we go!!
:thumbsup:

I think uncle tony and the people in the comments are a bit too hard on these guys.

Yes, keep driving a 1300hp car with sticky throttle in public traffic isn't a great idea.
They should've at least stopped when the brake smell occured. (Keep driving until then would've been risky enough.)

They most likely haven't been aware of the risk their taking. If it sticked at more throttle they would've probably died.

I hope but don't know if i would've reacted right in this situation. (When the brakes finally failed)
I mean the brake failure and throttle sticking could've appeared right out of the blue aswell.

Are you thinking of trading the Charger for a Mercury Comet ???

Looks like they peel apart easier for a less stressful service experience. :lol:

Sorry, i pull the car over, and get towed back to the shop. Those guys kept goofing with a stuck throttle, and burned the brakes, no excuses. The guy in the video didn't seem to care if he injured anybody.

I not a UT fanboy, but just about everything he said was spot on.

What’s crazy is I have a good friend (lost touch now) with a 66 Comet, 440 Chrysler engine, blown and injected.
That thing is a handful!

More like "brain failure" than brake failure...
Before I saw it here, I ran across this video on YouTube.
I just could not believe no mechanical ebrake with all that money tied up into it.
Then there’s the crash itself. Racing harness belts and they didn’t put them on.
When you know impact is inevitable but you hang onto the wheel and straighten your arms out rather than fold them across your chest via NASCAR to prevent injury. Duh.
And it’s not just about them getting hurt being reckless and stupid...the car they rear ended could’ve had kids in the back.
A young couple at our church got rear ended by somebody not paying attention.
Both their kids were killed, mother crippled for life, father with serious injuries. So I have no sympathy for these two just because they are car guys.
Loses brakes, slaps it to neutral instead of slapping it to low to drag down the speed.
Heck, even the nuclear option of jamming it into reverse for a brake stop would’ve been better.
Could have kill switched the engine.
He said something about fixing the car...hope he never does.
As old car/hot rod/musclecar enthusiasts, I think we all bear a greater responsibility to make sure our cars are 100% safe at all times.

Last edited:
Before I saw it here, I ran across this video on YouTube.
I just could not believe no mechanical ebrake with all that money tied up into it.
Then there’s the crash itself. Racing harness belts and they didn’t put them on.
When you know impact is inevitable but you hang onto the wheel and straighten your arms out rather than fold them across your chest via NASCAR to prevent injury. Duh.
And it’s not just about them getting hurt being reckless and stupid...the car they rear ended could’ve had kids in the back.
A young couple at our church got rear ended by somebody not paying attention.
Both their kids were killed, mother crippled for life, father with serious injuries. So I have no sympathy for these two just because they are car guys.
Loses brakes, slaps it to neutral instead of slapping it to low to drag down the speed.
Heck, even the nuclear option of jamming it into reverse for a brake stop would’ve been better.
Could have kill switched the engine.
He said something about fixing the car...hope he never does.
As old car/hot rod/musclecar enthusiasts, I think we all bear a greater responsibility to make sure our cars are 100% safe at all times.
Well... I just ran across this post in the comments of the video whereas Russ, the owner of the car, gives explanation.
I will let his words speak for himself.

Aj4wUjIGlM85e3h3Kv8FDxP4=s48-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj.jpg

Russ Stover1 month ago
This is Russ, as I sat in the hospital for a couple days, I replayed everything in my head hundreds of times, things that I should have noticed as a warning, and what I could have done differently. I’ve seen lots of comments so I’ll address a few of them, not being defensive at all. In a normal car throttle sticking at 2200 RPM’s is not the end of the world, in my car that’s 900 ft/lbs of torque. I should have realized the load that was putting on the brakes. Didn’t cross my mind at the time. FYI: It had double springs on the throttle. In a normal car, I could have pulled emergency brake, I even got a quote at Good Guy’s Del Mar for an electronic e-brake & bigger brakes. Hindsight’s 20-20, I was just gonna trailer it to a few shows & not drive it much till I could do that. Why didn’t I downshift? Car had a B&M ratchet shifter, once I shifted up thru the gears you can’t downshift till you put it in park. So much going on in those last few seconds, forgot to downshift it after putting it in park, but it was probably too late to have had a big reduction in speed. As far as I know, driver of van was not seriously injured. Beauty of a modern car with crumple zones, self tightening seat belts & air bags. Car had liability coverage but no collision, I was still in the process of getting stated value insurance

sucks for all envolved

I think kern posted it a while back

He took a shitload of flak for that in the YT comments. Rightly deserved.

Well... I just ran across this post in the comments of the video whereas Russ, the owner of the car, gives explanation.
I will let his words speak for himself.

View attachment 1330607
Russ Stover1 month ago
This is Russ, as I sat in the hospital for a couple days, I replayed everything in my head hundreds of times, things that I should have noticed as a warning, and what I could have done differently. I’ve seen lots of comments so I’ll address a few of them, not being defensive at all. In a normal car throttle sticking at 2200 RPM’s is not the end of the world, in my car that’s 900 ft/lbs of torque. I should have realized the load that was putting on the brakes. Didn’t cross my mind at the time. FYI: It had double springs on the throttle. In a normal car, I could have pulled emergency brake, I even got a quote at Good Guy’s Del Mar for an electronic e-brake & bigger brakes. Hindsight’s 20-20, I was just gonna trailer it to a few shows & not drive it much till I could do that. Why didn’t I downshift? Car had a B&M ratchet shifter, once I shifted up thru the gears you can’t downshift till you put it in park. So much going on in those last few seconds, forgot to downshift it after putting it in park, but it was probably too late to have had a big reduction in speed. As far as I know, driver of van was not seriously injured. Beauty of a modern car with crumple zones, self tightening seat belts & air bags. Car had liability coverage but no collision, I was still in the process of getting stated value insurance

He doesn't get it. The moment you notice something isn't right you pull over and address it. If he would have done this he'd still have his car in one piece, no injuries to himself or his passenger. And of all things to be malfunctioning, a sticking throttle. :realcrazy:

"Car had a B&M ratchet shifter, once I shifted up thru the gears you can’t downshift till you put it in park."
Wut.jpg

The owner is a dipshit that obviously knows little about cars and even less about how to drive them.

Auto Transport Service
Back