• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1,300HP Mercury Comet BRAKE FAILURE CRASH

Now that the cars a wadded up POS that he has gotten his 15mins+ of fame out of if he was smart he’d Ebay it as is and buy himself a detuned rascal scooter.
Probably because I’m from New York the “sue me” state, but I think ole Russ will be getting a lawsuit slapped on him by the mini van owner...

The owner was pumped up and not even thinking about the problems. Come on even before they took off brakes,seatbelts etc. Was mentioned. Now he endangered other people when you own something like this safety is first. He has put a mark on the hobby because of not thinking. The worse thing is the other folks they didn't ask for this. Can you just imagine if he would have had a open lane and then entered the intersection a tbone, head on who knows. The passager could have made him stop also.

Well... I just ran across this post in the comments of the video whereas Russ, the owner of the car, gives explanation.
I will let his words speak for himself.

View attachment 1330607
Russ Stover1 month ago
This is Russ, as I sat in the hospital for a couple days, I replayed everything in my head hundreds of times, things that I should have noticed as a warning, and what I could have done differently. I’ve seen lots of comments so I’ll address a few of them, not being defensive at all. In a normal car throttle sticking at 2200 RPM’s is not the end of the world, in my car that’s 900 ft/lbs of torque. I should have realized the load that was putting on the brakes. Didn’t cross my mind at the time. FYI: It had double springs on the throttle. In a normal car, I could have pulled emergency brake, I even got a quote at Good Guy’s Del Mar for an electronic e-brake & bigger brakes. Hindsight’s 20-20, I was just gonna trailer it to a few shows & not drive it much till I could do that. Why didn’t I downshift? Car had a B&M ratchet shifter, once I shifted up thru the gears you can’t downshift till you put it in park. So much going on in those last few seconds, forgot to downshift it after putting it in park, but it was probably too late to have had a big reduction in speed. As far as I know, driver of van was not seriously injured. Beauty of a modern car with crumple zones, self tightening seat belts & air bags. Car had liability coverage but no collision, I was still in the process of getting stated value insurance

Well... I just ran across this post in the comments of the video whereas Russ, the owner of the car, gives explanation.
I will let his words speak for himself.

View attachment 1330607
Russ Stover1 month ago
This is Russ, as I sat in the hospital for a couple days, I replayed everything in my head hundreds of times, things that I should have noticed as a warning, and what I could have done differently. I’ve seen lots of comments so I’ll address a few of them, not being defensive at all. In a normal car throttle sticking at 2200 RPM’s is not the end of the world, in my car that’s 900 ft/lbs of torque. I should have realized the load that was putting on the brakes. Didn’t cross my mind at the time. FYI: It had double springs on the throttle. In a normal car, I could have pulled emergency brake, I even got a quote at Good Guy’s Del Mar for an electronic e-brake & bigger brakes. Hindsight’s 20-20, I was just gonna trailer it to a few shows & not drive it much till I could do that. Why didn’t I downshift? Car had a B&M ratchet shifter, once I shifted up thru the gears you can’t downshift till you put it in park. So much going on in those last few seconds, forgot to downshift it after putting it in park, but it was probably too late to have had a big reduction in speed. As far as I know, driver of van was not seriously injured. Beauty of a modern car with crumple zones, self tightening seat belts & air bags. Car had liability coverage but no collision, I was still in the process of getting stated value insurance
I would worry about the vehicle(s) i hit, and the injuries i might have caused. Shut it down, trailer it back to the shop.

Neglect of power and brains. Now he will pay for being stupid.

Now we can all understand why we have traffic laws....

I'm sure each one of us has known or known OF a guy that likes cars but isn't all that mechanically inclined. They misuse automotive terms and speak in a way that tells you that they have a LOT to learn. Add in a huge amount of disposable income and you get a guy like this.
He may have been a decent Bank executive or a fantastic manager at the Piggly Wiggly but he was really out of his element with the car and how to respect it's capabilities. He saw an opportunity to be noticed via a YouTube channel and he ignored basic common sense.
Being stupid used to hurt. It taught you a lesson. When being stupid hurts other people, it should hurt even more.
I have done many irresponsible things and have been very lucky but I never had the $200,000 to sink into a car like this. I hope that I'd have handled it better than this idiot.

Modern media doesn't help. Young guys coming up figure they need 1000HP because that's what they view on their phone. Then there's outlets like Roadkill that young guys watch and figure you need to add a 500HP Nitrous kit on a car with no safety mods etc. This guys is older and obviously didn't have cars over the years with small mods moving up to a radical build. Most of us learn our lessons by progressing from basic roots.
Part of it can be blamed on NHRA losing sight of their roots and what their initial purpose was too.
No good can come of it that's for sure. Govt's can make Hot Rodders life worse anytime they feel like it with the stroke of a pen.

Auto Transport Service
Back