• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1 hyd flat tappet leaking down after sitting for a week.

1967coronet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:15 AM
Reaction score
I have close to 1000 miles on the new comp cam and hyd lifters. oem rockers , push rods & shafts. Crane springs, closed pressure #90 , open #280. Car runs fine, pulled the covers all looks ok, Rolled the engine over checking for a loose push rod , all seem ok, shaft bolts tight.
I have one lifter that will tap for mabey 10 seconds at start up after sitting for a week.
It will not tap long enough to locate it. if I start it a hr later or the next day its fine.
Just does this if it sets for a extended time.
1st question , is it going to hurt the cam ?
2nd question, I have read comp has had some hyd lifter noise issues but mine seem fine once pumped up. Should I get another set/brand of lifters and swap them out ?
Thanks

I have close to 1000 miles on the new comp cam and hyd lifters. oem rockers , push rods & shafts. Crane springs, closed pressure #90 , open #280. Car runs fine, pulled the covers all looks ok, Rolled the engine over checking for a loose push rod , all seem ok, shaft bolts tight.
I have one lifter that will tap for mabey 10 seconds at start up after sitting for a week.
It will not tap long enough to locate it. if I start it a hr later or the next day its fine.
Just does this if it sets for a extended time.
1st question , is it going to hurt the cam ?
2nd question, I have read comp has had some hyd lifter noise issues but mine seem fine once pumped up. Should I get another set/brand of lifters and swap them out ?
Thanks
I am having the same problem with an all stock engine. It sat for many years Rislone oil treatment did help a LOT . I have heard it is hard to get good lifters , even name brand ones, as they are manufactured off shore........................MO

Stock stamped rockers?
Stock lenth pushrods or did you order new ones?
What weight and brand oil are you useing?

I am having the same problem with an all stock engine. It sat for many years Rislone oil treatment did help a LOT . I have heard it is hard to get good lifters , even name brand ones, as they are manufactured off shore........................MO
Hi Steve, Good to hear from you. Sorry to hear you got the same problem.
I would rather these all did it then I would figure its the pre load ect and have something to chase. LOL or switch them out. One ticker for 10 seconds and Im not that fast in tracking it down.
The covered bridge festival weather don't sound like a very good day Sunday, Im going to skip this year.
Dan

Stock stamped rockers?
Stock lenth pushrods or did you order new ones?
What weight and brand oil are you useing?
Stock used stamped rockers, and the original used stock push rods, I just rolled them to ck for bent ones and used them.
Oil is 15/40 rotella with lucas zinc additive.
cam & lifters were broke in with brad penn break in oil and comps sticky assembly lube.

Forgot to add its a pretty mild cam, 462/470 lift 218/224 dur @50%
440 engine

Stock used stamped rockers, and the original used stock push rods, I just rolled them to ck for bent ones and used them.
Oil is 15/40 rotella with lucas zinc additive.
cam & lifters were broke in with brad penn break in oil and comps sticky assembly lube.

You know what you're doing :thumbsup:

Maybe you could check the preload to make sure they're not too deep. Other than that it might just be a weak one. I've heard guys removing one that didn't pump up, disassemble, clean and it took care of it. (dirt?)

Having both valve covers off, bump it around with a remote button, checking each rocker for play. This would be done after letting it sit for a lenth of time.

Does it do it every time after sitting for a week or so. How lucky would it be that it would land on the same lifter each time?

You know what you're doing :thumbsup:

Maybe you could check the preload to make sure they're not too deep. Other than that it might just be a weak one. I've heard guys removing one that didn't pump up, disassemble, clean and it took care of it. (dirt?)

Having both valve covers off, bump it around with a remote button, checking each rocker for play. This would be done after letting it sit for a lenth of time.

Does it do it every time after sitting for a week or so. How lucky would it be that it would land on the same lifter each time?
Thanks, I have just searched for a loose one after its been ran { I didn't think quite straight on that one } Its only ticked a couple times at start up not each time its sat long, I will do that, and let it set until mid week and pull the covers again and bump it around and find the culprit.

Thanks, I have just searched for a loose one after its been ran { I didn't think quite straight on that one } Its only ticked a couple times at start up not each time its sat long, I will do that, and let it set until mid week and pull the covers again and bump it around and find the culprit.

Just bump it enough and don't spin it up to create any oil pressure. When a valve is closed, you can push down on that rocker and see how that lifter acts. Good luck.

When a valve is closed, you can push down on that rocker and see how that lifter acts.
The Kid is right.
Just one lifter, could easily be some trash, or burr, hanging things up. If it only taps a few seconds, nothing to worry about. Or, find it, would easily push down by the rocker arm. Just pull the one lifter, take it apart, and check/clean things, especially the two 'ports', one at the cup, one at the side, to make sure their clear. But, if the actual internal clearances are off too much, yeah, it will bleed down more than the others. If so, live with it, or change the one.

[QUOTE="miller, post: 911080573, member: 1].....If it only taps a few seconds, nothing to worry about............if the actual internal clearances are off too much, yeah, it will bleed down more than the others. If so, live with it........[/QUOTE]

This

Got 92 spirit v6 that does same thing. Bought remanufactured heads on it and had dud lifter from the start. Used kendal 20w50 high zinc oil. That did help, tried thinner oil thinking it would pump up faster did the opposite. 20 50 bit stiff for winter, going to try 10 40 this time Kendall titanium.

Not familiar with comp cams, compared with engle cams you spring pressures seem low to me. Not saying its the problem just trying to learn something. Here is spring recommendation for engle cam i just put in this spring...Street Master Valve Springs
  • 1.550'' O.D.
  • 1.080'' I.D.
  • 460 lbs./in. Spring Rate
  • 125 @ 1.875'' Installed
  • 355 @ 1.375'' Open
  • 1.190'' Coil Bind
  • Single Spring with Damper
  • 16/pkg.

I don't know if it's the same deal with yours, but back when I was having all sorts of issues with a previous engine
(the one that wiped a brand new cam), I had a couple of new Comp lifters that didn't pump up so well either -
and they were REAL easy to find as I went around the cold engine.
Just pushing down on the tips of rockers pointed out the culprits quickly.
I really do hope that's all that is going on with yours, too.

I don't know if it's the same deal with yours, but back when I was having all sorts of issues with a previous engine
(the one that wiped a brand new cam), I had a couple of new Comp lifters that didn't pump up so well either -
and they were REAL easy to find as I went around the cold engine.
Just pushing down on the tips of rockers pointed out the culprits quickly.
I really do hope that's all that is going on with yours, too.
Yep, me to Ed, For a used Winnebago engine she runs pretty darn good. Prob Thursday eve I will edge it around with my bump button and start pushing on rockers and rolling push rods. If I find one or two I will yank the intake and take those lifters apart.
Also, officer Higgins may be onto something with the thick /thin oil. Seeing how all these comp lifters are pretty new and we here have had a change in the weather last couple weeks the temps have been 40s, 30s ect.
Good to hear from you buddy.

Not familiar with comp cams, compared with engle cams you spring pressures seem low to me. Not saying its the problem just trying to learn something. Here is spring recommendation for engle cam i just put in this spring...Street Master Valve Springs
  • 1.550'' O.D.
  • 1.080'' I.D.
  • 460 lbs./in. Spring Rate
  • 125 @ 1.875'' Installed
  • 355 @ 1.375'' Open
  • 1.190'' Coil Bind
  • Single Spring with Damper
  • 16/pkg.
I switched to the crane set to save from buying new locks and retainers, Cranes info said they were good to .580 lift , they are a bit lighter than comps springs, with this old Winnebago 440 I keep the rpms at or under 5,000

Hi Steve, Good to hear from you. Sorry to hear you got the same problem.
I would rather these all did it then I would figure its the pre load ect and have something to chase. LOL or switch them out. One ticker for 10 seconds and Im not that fast in tracking it down.
The covered bridge festival weather don't sound like a very good day Sunday, Im going to skip this year.
Dan
I skipped the festival too. Damn weather , I have missed several of my favorite season ends shows. I had hoped to get up your way one day soon. Supposed to be closing on selling our acreage this end of week, but i don't see how all the paper work will be done by then Could you PM me your phone number? ....... Steve ...........MO

I skipped the festival too. Damn weather , I have missed several of my favorite season ends shows. I had hoped to get up your way one day soon. Supposed to be closing on selling our acreage this end of week, but i don't see how all the paper work will be done by then Could you PM me your phone number? ....... Steve ...........MO
Will do.

Auto Transport Service
Back