• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1- wire Alt help

dyolf82

Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
B75AAB3A-B21E-4851-B525-B68E2635B310.jpeg
Still in the process of re-wiring my car... switched to a one wire Alt/internally regulated proform 110amps... when I got to the point where I could start the car, as soon as I put it in ACC the ign wire running to the alt starts to melt. I can not figure out why... I’ve checked grounds. Maybe I have it wired wrong (probably) ??? The alt has 2 studs and 1 field terminal... 1 stud goes to a 12v power terminal, the other stud is used for a ground and the field wire (brown) runs to my fuse block and lands at the terminal with the ACC from the ignition switch. I am not using a regulator or ballast bc I’m running a Pertronix 512 ignition box. Any help would be appreciated... I’ve searched for “like” issues but haven’t found anything close to my situation... thanks in advance

What year and car? One wire alts have one wire only. This would be a wire running straight to the battery. Need a little more information

73 charger... Ron Francis wiring harness but that may be my issue. I wired it up as shown on the print so basically as a 3 wire alt. I think removing the brown wire running to my fuse block might remedy the situation. I didn’t realize they counted the batt wire as the one wire, I thought it meant 1 field wire.

Remove the field wire. Run an 8 gauge wire from bat terminal on alt directly to the battery. Starter relay would be OK also. Never used a Francis harness but it should not make a difference. You must also remove voltage regulator from the circuit. One wire alts are internally regulated and do not require an external voltage regulator.
Frank

Yea I think the problem is I hooked up a wire to the field and ran it to the number 2 terminal as shown in the picture... I’ll try that, thanks... hopefully it’s that simple

Auto Transport Service
Back