• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1050 Dominator too big for 440" motor ?

Mike Gaines

Local time
2:47 AM
Reaction score
Question:
3000lb 68 Dart with a 440" motor, iron headed (ported 915's), good sized UltraDyne flat tappet cam, 2" Fenderwell headers with 3.5 collectors, msd, trans brake, 4000 converter, 4.10 Dana, 12.5 wide Hoosiers, Cal Tracs and Victor single plane with 750 Holley runs 10.70.
Would a brand new 1050 Dominator (with an adapter) slow it down or speed it up ?
I really like the Dominator and want to do it......
Please advise...
Thanks.

Just how big is a “good sized” UD solid cam?

Converter actually flashes to 4K(any idea what the converter is?(Ati 10”, Dynamic 9.5”, etc)

Rear tire diameter?

Speed at end of 1/4?

Just how big is a “good sized” UD solid cam?

Converter actually flashes to 4K(any idea what the converter is?(Ati 10”, Dynamic 9.5”, etc)

Rear tire diameter?

Speed at end of 1/4?
Answers...
1) Speed thru the traps is 123mph
2) UNSURE of cam specs, lift, duration at .050. Crane 1.5 rockers...not 1.6 or more.
3) Converter flashes to 4000. 10" size. Car launches off trans brake at 3600 for best traction.
4) 29.5 rear tire with 94" rollout. 4.10 gear.

My friend "TheMan440" in Las Vegas reported recently that his 440 inch motor on "the flying brick" ran faster with a 1050 Dominator over a 750 Holley....

my 2 cents is run and tune it up or down to what you need. for me i think the more is better and adjust from there. i am probable on the wrong path but again just my 2 cents. i'm sure somebody will help with the answer. but good luck with the new project.

My two cents: the 915s aren't helping power a whole lot, but with the gear and converter you have, i'd give the dominator a shot, especially if i had one, or could borrow one.

Question:
3000lb 68 Dart with a 440" motor, iron headed (ported 915's), good sized UltraDyne flat tappet cam, 2" Fenderwell headers with 3.5 collectors, msd, trans brake, 4000 converter, 4.10 Dana, 12.5 wide Hoosiers, Cal Tracs and Victor single plane with 750 Holley runs 10.70.
Would a brand new 1050 Dominator (with an adapter) slow it down or speed it up ?
Please advise...
Thanks.
Hi Mike, if you want to run the Dominator, then do it. I run 2-750cfm Carters on my 413 MW, on the street.
Your engine would run, on a single 2bbl, but like eating celery for breakfast, you will barely make it out the door before you fall flat on your face.
4 split Dominators, would slow your 60' some, but you would have an incredible top end charge.
Your engine will only draw the air that it requires, and your vacuum signal will determine the jet size required.
In my world there is no such thing as too big. It's all about "where" you want the power to come-on.
My MW Dart is a little lazy at 2200rpm to 2800rpm, but hit 3200rpm and it comes on like Jack-the-Bear and pulls HARD to 7000rpm.
Do the swap and check your 660' to1000' and 1000' to 1320' incremental s, you'll probably see good gains in ET & MPH. That's where that big breathing carb is going to really work.
Hope this helps

Hi Mike, if you want to run the Dominator, then do it. I run 2-750cfm Carters on my 413 MW, on the street.
Your engine would run, on a single 2bbl, but like eating celery for breakfast, you will barely make it out the door before you fall flat on your face.
4 split Dominators, would slow your 60' some, but you would have an incredible top end charge.
Your engine will only draw the air that it requires, and your vacuum signal will determine the jet size required.
In my world there is no such thing as too big. It's all about "where" you want the power to come-on.
My MW Dart is a little lazy at 2200rpm to 2800rpm, but hit 3200rpm and it comes on like Jack-the-Bear and pulls HARD to 7000rpm.
Do the swap and check your 660' to1000' and 1000' to 1320' incremental s, you'll probably see good gains in ET & MPH. That's where that big breathing carb is going to really work.
Hope this helps
Thanks....your comments make a lot of sense to me.
Since the car leaves the line at 3600rpm off the transbrake the laziness at lower rpm is not a factor.
The 80688 Sportsman Dominator comes with 84 primary (with 5.5 power valve) and 92 secondary. That carb I will get is just a little of $800 brand new from Summit or Jegs. It is the same carb I had on my 10.04 @ 131.51mph Coronet. It was, of course, a 505" and I ended up plugging the power valve with 98 jets on all 4 corners. It launched at 3600 also.

When do you get the new arrival or get some pics of it. Back to the carb thing Mike you know your way around this type of carb and everything else that is involved. You will do well with the big carb and the smaller b car. It's in you to do this have fun and we are all waiting for your results on the track.

I ran a SP1050 on my 440 for the last 12 months .
.520 nett lift solid ft cam and 270 heads
Ran best 10.71 @ 3690lbs
But i had more converter , 6000 stall
I did not have much luck running an adapter on a Victor , i bought a Super Victor . Way better .

Tex

Mike, my bet is the Dominator could work very well. But it does depend on the cam & how good those 915's are. As always tuning may take a bit of time. BTW I ran a 650 DP off my tunnel ram on my 452 low deck, 7000 RPM motor, TM6(welded lumps). Not much slower than the 850 DP. Point is smaller carb can work too, BUT....Try the Dominator.

Last edited:
Question:
Please advise...
Thanks.
Hi Mike,
Not a perfect comparison...but when i was experimenting with my '65 Belvedere, i swapped in an older model 9375 Dominator on one of those 2" bolt pattern adapters in place of a well-prepped 1000cfm 4150 Holley to compare results. My car had a 4500 stall,4.88 gears and weighed 3440 with me in it on the line. The engine combo was a 446" with Indy -1 heads and a decent Comp mechanical roller. I ran 30x10" tires with Caltracs. When i was in the Midwest Gassers i would load the foot brake just enough to smooth the idle a little and then flat foot it because we couldn't use trans brakes. The car usually had a 60ft time around 1.45-1.48 with the 1000cfm. All conditions being the same, the Dominator to no surprise increased my trap speed a bit. The big surprise was that my 60ft times went down to 1.4-1.43.
Bolt it on and let 'er rip!

Auto Transport Service
Back