• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

14" Steelies and poverty caps for a 67 R/T

dammstrate

Local time
8:11 PM
Reaction score
Want to return my recently purchased 67 R/T to factory style wheels and poverty caps. Can't find any aftermarket 14" steelies. Can find 15" everywhere.
Any 14" and the 67 poverty caps available anywhere? Or so I have to peruse ebay all the time?

Should not be hard to find a used set of the old style 14" wheels for the bigger poverty caps. Not too many people run them, but they were originally on nearly all cars of the 1960s. I probably have several laying around, but shipping them would be $$.

Did your R/T have poverty caps from the factory? Do you have the build sheet?

Now that's unusual that you can find 15 inch wheels that take the 10 inch dog dish hubcap.
Those wheels are very hard to find and usually very narrow 15 x 4 to 15 x 5.5 sizes.
Maybe you are finding the wheels that take the 9 inch dog dish cap , more common wheel.

Frank

67 being the last year for the 10 inch caps, along with the rim being narrow drives most to the 68 up 14x5.5 with the nine inch cap.
however, my 66 Monaco came with 14x6 wheels, and the cap diameter was nine inches. so, chrysler was getting ready to switch over. so my 1967 caps for my GTX sit in the box, until some rare unknown wheel set shows up. I tried the 65 fury 14 inch wheel with the 10 inch cap, but they were also only
5.0 inches wide.

Hmmmm , some unknown or rare set of wheels ( 15 inch version )

Frank

15 x10 big center.JPG

10 inch wheel center.jpg

Not trying to highjack here.... but: I'm looking to get some factory police 15's. The guy selling them is unsure on the width though. Wondering which cap will mate to them.. 9 or 10 inch?

You could try running later 15" wheels with the smaller 1968 9" cap. The 1968 Dodge cap is a smaller version of the 1967 cap. It is getting hard to find larger 14" tires, because not many cars come with that diameter rim anymore. It would pass the vision test, and likely you would be the only person to know the difference. You could say it was a "dealer option" to anyone questioning it.
My 1967 R/T.

RT drags.jpg

P7030085.JPG

Not trying to highjack here.... but: I'm looking to get some factory police 15's. The guy selling them is unsure on the width though. Wondering which cap will mate to them.. 9 or 10 inch?

If they are actual Cop car rims then they will have the center register for a 9" dog dish cap, the 10" caps were 67 and earlier.

The slotted cop car rims are 15" X 7" and take smaller 9" cap. My R/T when I had these on it, with '69 Red Circle caps. (likely the most expensive dog dishes to buy)

RT drags.jpg

The slotted cop car rims are 15" X 7" and take smaller 9" cap. My R/T when I had these on it, with '69 Red Circle caps. (likely the most expensive dog dishes to buy)

View attachment 1325868

I have cop car rims and 68 Chrysler dog dish caps on my 68 T/C wagon....love the look! As for expensive dog dish caps....have you checked out prices on the 1968 Dodge 9" poverty caps....I'm looking for a set for my 68 Coronet and have been stunned by what they are selling for! :eek:

I have cop car rims and 68 Chrysler dog dish caps on my 68 T/C wagon....love the look! As for expensive dog dish caps....have you checked out prices on the 1968 Dodge 9" poverty caps....I'm looking for a set for my 68 Coronet and have been stunned by what they are selling for! :eek:
I remember years ago being at Chryslers at Carlisle. A vendor had a NOS set of the Red Circle 9" caps for sale for $500.00! Directly across the roadway from him, another vendor was selling new reproduction Magnum 500's with center caps for $5.00 less.
I bought my '69 caps from a friend who had pulled them off his new 340 Swinger to put Cragars on. Years later, he sold them to me for $25.00. They looked NOS! When I changed the look of my R/T with mags, I sold them to another friend who wanted them for his Hemi SuperBee. They were still in excellent shape, and he was happy to buy them for $225.00. I had the use of them for almost 20 years, and still made $200.00 on them. It is a good deal when everybody is happy with the outcome.

Auto Transport Service
Back