1936 Plymouth, rear sway bar

Brakes, Steering & Suspension

1. Maintain

Maintain Member

Local Time:
    6:59 PM
    the rear end for my car is out of a Coronet. 489, if I remeber correctly, has multi leaf springs. The car is kinda top heavy. Would like to install a rear sway bar for stability. Anyone direct me to where I can find one? Looked around with no results so far. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021 at 2:08 PM
  2. F4R/T

F4R/T Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:59 PM
    Was the rear axle narrowed at all? What year of Coronet was it pulled from? Rear sway bars started appearing really in 71. I would measure a factory rear sway bar from 71 and look at how it mounts to see if it fits. If you don’t use a factory one use one from Firm Feel, you could also check with them to see if they could build you one to fit! The factory bars have a way of mounting that is different than the aftermarket ones and it’s really better imo. Measure the from the center of the mounting plates on each side and measure the frame width and that will get you going..I think firm feel will build one to suit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Maintain

Maintain Member

Local Time:
      Its for a 1936 Plymouth. The rear end is out f a Coronet. Its top heavy. Once in a fast tight turn,it felt like it might tip! Was not altered.

• F4R/T

F4R/T Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      5:59 PM
      What suspension is on the front? Fat man or mustang 2? What springs are there and how old ?I would measure it and call firm feel .. There some 70 E bodies that came with factory rear sway bar . There are several issues that could cause this while a bar will help flatten it out everything else needs to be right. Sometimes a good shock set up will help then add the front and rear bars. The other way to make it drive better is to lower the center of gravity.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021 at 4:10 PM
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Maintain

Maintain Member

Local Time:
        Mustang 2. Has newer shocks thruout. MultiLeafs. Dont have bar count right now. I am going to replace ball joints, as I suspect them to be worn. Not sure if they are screw in,'or press. The mustang 2 front is from '74 to '78, would you kmow what type of ball joint to order? Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.