• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Dart Old Internet Post

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:47 AM
Reaction score
I was doing some "surfing" and cam across this 2013 for sale add on a Indonesian website. I'd tell you more about it but I don't speak the language.
It's kind of a crazy setup, right hand drive, weird setup on the sideways mounted power brakes. Reverse lights mounted on the bottom set instead of the top. Thought it would be interesting to post. (You can select translate on the site)

http://fjb.m.kaskus.co.id/product/51075f650c75b4dd41000013/dodge-dart-1962-full-original/

Screenshot_20161109-203248.png
Screenshot_20161109-203311.png
Screenshot_20161109-203343.png
Screenshot_20161109-203359.png

Last edited:
how the hell is that booster going to work?? and where is the steering shaft???

how the hell is that booster going to work?? and where is the steering shaft???
Lol
I'm thinking that there is a linkage that runs from the brake pedal, under the dash to the left side and to the booster. Like they do on a driver's ed car.
Or it might be electric. Looks like a servo on the booster.

The steering shaft must be hidden under the engine with a right side mounted steering box.

That firewall is special to that car body only!

No haven't seen one but I know the steering box is opposite the US one and is mounted on the right hand side with a rod crossing to the left. Brake line runs across too.

its a vh44 remote brake booster conversion , common on older aussie cars equipped with 4 wheel non power drums

You beat me to it polywideblock. The good old PBR VH44. They are a remote servo booster. They weren't only used on 4 wheel drums, plenty of disc/drum cars (like a 1968 VE Valiant Regal I had) used them too.

I am a little intrigued by this car though... The badge on the front fender says "Dart", though all the 1962 Dodges imported here had "Phoenix". (I've heard 800 Phoenix's were imported here in 1962.) This one in Indonesia looks an original RHD, and it has the Plymouth Instruments like ours did too. Perhaps it wasn't one originally delivered to Australia but another Commonwealth country that were a bit different to ours?!

Hydraulic clutch, a japanese alternator, god knows what radiator that is - it is truly a "cross breed". I'm amazed this car is in Indonesia!

PS - Our RHD models had steering box mounted to RH chassis rail as opposed to K-frame on LHD models and attached to different pitman arm, drag-link and idler arm. Unfortunately, Chrysler never built a slant-six that leaned the other way for our market. Now that would have been cool!

Last edited:
pic of my triple green aussie right hand drive 60 phoenix(170 made) ps pb sold new in Melbourne before it got to sit in the shed for 40 years , its "next on the list" for a resto
why are 62 model here but no 60-61s there all darts aren't they
deep-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif
60 dodge.jpg

its a vh44 remote brake booster conversion , common on older aussie cars equipped with 4 wheel non power drums
Thanks Poly!
I had to look up how they work. Looks like the mastercylinder on the firewall applies fluid pressure to the vh44, which activates the piston in the servo looking piece, which activates the vacuum booster, which applies fluid pressure to the wheel cylinders.

smiley-think004.gif

Last edited:
The good old PBR VH44.
Reminds me of the Get Smart show. "Oh yes, the good old PBR VH44 trick!"

tve54-19660219-133.jpg

"PS - Our RHD models had steering box mounted to RHchassis rail as opposed to K-frame on LHD models and attached to different pitman arm, drag-link and idlerarm."

That's kind of a weak place to mount one. I'm sure they must have plated it but sometimes it's hard enough to keep one tight, when mounted on the K frame...

also had a non collapsible column and used a hydraulic steering ram as opposed to a power steering box

Last edited:
You beat me to it polywideblock. The good old PBR VH44. They are a remote servo booster. They weren't only used on 4 wheel drums, plenty of disc/drum cars (like a 1968 VE Valiant Regal I had) used them too.

I am a little intrigued by this car though... The badge on the front fender says "Dart", though all the 1962 Dodges imported here had "Phoenix". (I've heard 800 Phoenix's were imported here in 1962.) This one in Indonesia looks an original RHD, and it has the Plymouth Instruments like ours did too. Perhaps it wasn't one originally delivered to Australia but another Commonwealth country that were a bit different to ours?!

Hydraulic clutch, a japanese alternator, god knows what radiator that is - it is truly a "cross breed". I'm amazed this car is in Indonesia!

PS - Our RHD models had steering box mounted to RH chassis rail as opposed to K-frame on LHD models and attached to different pitman arm, drag-link and idler arm. Unfortunately, Chrysler never built a slant-six that leaned the other way for our market. Now that would have been cool!

must be a treat trying to order parts for these! I can just see the guy at Napa scratching his head...

Good find Kid. It's actually a good looking car. I like the color combo. Kind of a light Petty Blue and White.

Auto Transport Service
Back