• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Dodge E-Brake Cable Routing

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:17 PM
Reaction score
Well I finally ran into a problem on the '62 assembly.

The e-brake cable comes out of the fender well, through the opening above the frame, then over the frame to the transmission cross member. I just can't tell in my picture, being so cruddy, if it goes under or over the brake line going to the rear.

'63, '64, maybe even '65 might be the same. Pictures would be a plus!

TIA
20170518_233948.jpg

Screenshot_2017-05-18-23-36-05.jpg

On my 64, under where the gas pedal mounts, is a support plate with nuts. That plate also has two bent tabs, and holes for clamps, the tabs at an angle. You might look, to see if you have that plate.
I fitted both my speedo cable, and park brake cable to it, via clamps.

Well I finally ran into a problem on the '62 assembly.

The e-brake cable comes out of the fender well, through the opening above the frame, then over the frame to the transmission cross member. I just can't tell in my picture, being so cruddy, if it goes under or over the brake line going to the rear.

'63, '64, maybe even '65 might be the same. Pictures would be a plus!
Went out to look at mine, and it goes over the top of the rear brake line, since the brake line is clipped down tight to the frame rail ,right near where they intersect.
TIA
View attachment 424785
View attachment 424786

On my 64, under where the gas pedal mounts, is a support plate with nuts. That plate also has two bent tabs, and holes for clamps, the tabs at an angle. You might look, to see if you have that plate.
I fitted both my speedo cable, and park brake cable to it, via clamps.

Thanks miller but my problem is routing the e-brake cable over the frame where the brake line is. (Red Arrow) Does it go over or under the brake line?

The cable mounts to the gas peddle stud with a clamp. (
Blue Arrow)

Screenshot_2017-05-19-08-00-45.jpg

Thanks miller but my problem is routing the e-brake cable over the frame where the brake line is.
Understand. Deal is, just like on mine, plenty of changes. Don't know for sure on a 62, but the park brake cable probably fits through the trans cross member, right? And toss in, you want to keep the cable away from those pretty headers, too!
The brake lines...shouldn't matter, over, or under. Go for the easiest path, to the mount clamp, and cross member, keeping the brake cable fairly in line.
Guess that support plate I mentioned, was on 'later' models, since you don't have it.

Understand. Deal is, just like on mine, plenty of changes. Don't know for sure on a 62, but the park brake cable probably fits through the trans cross member, right? And toss in, you want to keep the cable away from those pretty headers, too!
The brake lines...shouldn't matter, over, or under. Go for the easiest path, to the mount clamp, and cross member, keeping the brake cable fairly in line.
Guess that support plate I mentioned, was on 'later' models, since you don't have it.

I like seeing the changes that were made each year. Shows you they were always trying to improve on what was already good!

Thanks for your reply:thumbsup:

Ah...see where your talking about now, per Thunderlugs photo. My rear brake line, all I made new, went to the block, and flat onto the top of the frame. Then the 'wrap around' at the firewall. Wasn't sure where on the brake line you were asking. Good show!

Late again ,but my time machine needed a service today (your tomorrow)

Over kid

image.png image.png

You need to find the guy that undercoated that car..... And give him a Big Sloppy Kiss!! Little did he know how much he would affect the life of a young boy from the Keystone State, some 55 years Later!!

You need to find the guy that undercoated that car..... And give him a Big Sloppy Kiss!! Little did he know how much he would affect the life of a young boy from the Keystone State, some 55 years Later!!

"Young boy", I wish! :lol:

We noticed something back in the day, working on these cars, if they were undercoated from the factory, they normally held up fairly well. If they were under coated at the dealer, the undercoating separated in some areas and would trap moisture and created more rust outs than if it wasn't undercoated at all. (Just an observation).

And as far as the undercoating under my car, they must have had to use up a certain amount by the end of the month or something. It's just ridiculous how much is slopped on there. I've been under a lot of cars in my time and I've never seen one done as heavy as this one. I still have to remove the coating from the center section and the four fender wells. (At a later date of course)

I wonder just how much weight on total you would have removed at the end of all that! Save it and seal your driveway with it! Been there , done that years ago when I did my Coronet resto. Lots of Propane and carefull scraping! ****!! Ah....But its worth the work! Your car is looking Outstanding!

Hemi 010.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back