• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Dodge Polara 500 Build

tqfastfish

Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been on here for quite a while.. not posting much but a big lurker.. I am ALWAYS on a bodies only under the same name..

so anyway.. In September of 2012 I bought a 1968 Dodge Dart and we made a big project out of it.. Went ALL OUT.. tore every nut and bolt on it off and bought the best of everything, no expense spared.. well I got sick of that after a little while.. so I just recently sold it unfinished and it went to a guy in Michigan who is going to finish it as a Hemi super stock clone..

so.. After getting the money from that I was looking for a B-Body mopar to play around with, I remembered a yard that someone tipped me off to years ago that wasn't more then 3 hours away in New York.. So we took a weekend and went on a nice little road trip. We went Saturday morning early.. Looked around all day and he had some cool cars, very cool.. but a lot were over priced and didn't catch my eye.. then we walked past this one. 1962 Dodge Polara 500.. I just had to have it..

The car is a California car still with the original black plate from 1963. It sat in California for 17 years in a junkyard until this guy bought it.. He drove it around for a couple months and then parked it in the barn in 2003.. not a spot of rot or bondo on this thing.. Very clean, so we got to digging it out..

Here are some pics from it in the barn and when we got a couple cars moved and boxes off it..

Thanks a lot

- - - Updated - - -

Some more pics of it.. Coming out of the barn..

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

all original 383 4brl

Attachments

• iryt8i99yto0.jpg
    iryt8i99yto0.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 780
  • unnameduri.jpg
    unnameduri.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 802
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 756
  • jghotyo.jpg
    jghotyo.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 805
  • yiyoi.jpg
    yiyoi.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 722
  • unnamedyio.jpg
    unnamedyio.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 675
  • mhgktyo.jpg
    mhgktyo.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 748
  • trirtr.jpg
    trirtr.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 701
  • yioteo.jpg
    yioteo.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 665
  • jhglhg.jpg
    jhglhg.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 680
  • jfify.jpg
    jfify.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 676
  • vbmgfkjg.jpg
    vbmgfkjg.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 664
  • unnamedjkfg.jpg
    unnamedjkfg.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 672
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 669
  • dfjdj.jpg
    dfjdj.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 659
  • ghkgh.jpg
    ghkgh.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 807
  • fgiytio.jpg
    fgiytio.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 700
  • gftri.jpg
    gftri.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 675
  • hgdjgkg.jpg
    hgdjgkg.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 681
  • gdjgfk.jpg
    gdjgfk.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 684
  • iytityo.jpg
    iytityo.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 660
  • unnamedgfii.jpg
    unnamedgfii.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 672
  • jfhkhkl.jpg
    jfhkhkl.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 680
Looks great!

The one I bought is in the same condition. Amazing how they can hold up if kept in the right environment. Mine has California roots also. Check out my photo gallery.

383. 4bll is a rare option, 361 being standard. Great find!

Like to see some interior pics sometime.

Looks real solid. A great score, well done. Now no giving up on this project before it's finished!!

Wow what a find! It is in such great shape. Tmm

Thanks a lot everyone! Here are some interior pictures.. Its not pretty.. California destroyed all the soft stuff

Attachments

• fjfgkfk.jpg
    fjfgkfk.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 544
Can anyone please decode this for me? Thanks a lot !

Attachments

• jytoty.jpg
    jytoty.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 501
Getting right to it..

some work done this morning..

Some not pictured..

Got the trunk all cleaned out and organized all the parts, then swept and vacuumed the trunk and removed the body plugs.

Then moved on to the engine bay where I cleaned it up a little and removed the battery..

Took the seats and console out, took those body plugs out on the floor and later It will be up on jack stands and apart more..

PS: I took some invisible glass to the side windows and they look like they will clean up nice..

Back later..

Attachments

• unnamedyri9.jpg
    unnamedyri9.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 485
  • i569.jpg
    i569.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 526
  • 659569.jpg
    659569.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 561
  • yi9.jpg
    yi9.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 483
  • u548.jpg
    u548.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 500
That is a wild color combo there! Should be a fairly easy build. What is the plan? Restore or modify?

I will be putting my 62 Dodge 330 4 door sedan on craigslist tonight here in Columbus, Ohio for $500. It is a complete car minus carpet and headliner.

restore to original colors.. Take engine and tranny out, clean up and paint.. maybe some aluminum heads , piston rings, gaskets,seals, etc.. New high flow water pump, rebuild all suspension, electronic ignition,aluminum radiator and so on.. no crazy stuff

Started taking some engine bay stuff out today to get the 383 ready to be pulled after getting it running last night.. still some more to do.. but getting there

Excellent find. Those early b bodies keep growing on me. Keep up posted on the progress.

UX
Can anyone please decode this for me? Thanks a lot !

Tag as follows
C2 A727 torqueflite
D2 Power Brakes
G5 Heater with defrost
M8 Windshield washer dual jet

Shipped date 18 December 1961

542 2 door hardtop
852 Green & Beige vinyl
GG1UGlade Green with Beige insert

This car would have come with a 361 engine NOT a 383....are you sure it is a 383.

Fyi ...I can see the radiator is not original ,radio knobs should be metal chrome, steering wheel should be all white.non original seats.

Nice car you have there ...good luck with the resto.

You should get the IBM card from Chrysler Historical !

Ok. Now don't go tubbing the crap out of this one! Also...don't sell all the parts you think you don't want....you eventually will want them! Make a plan and stick to it...or you will right back where you were with the dart. Good luck with this car.

Looking at this again, this is such a solid example and a lovely color combo, I would love to see this faithfully restored. Having said that, of course it's your car and you should do with it what ever you please.

I hope you know what you are up for with restoring a '62 as it seems the reproduction world largely seem to pretend these don't exist..

A few 62 Dodge restorations have been detailed on this forum recently, and might serve as valuable info if you haven't trolled the threads already. Be prepared that the door trims and interior upholstery can take a long (!!) time to be made by SMS (if your looking for originality) - just ask members 1962polara or rvw?!

BTW,
14 year old MOPAR maniac

Does this mean you're 14 years old or played with Mopars for 14 years?!

Very nice! I really like the red wheels that match the seats.

Im drooling all over myself. Great find. I had a 62 polara 500 and like a dummy I sold it. I miss it everyday. They are not easy to find. Good luck and keep us posted on the rebuild.

Auto Transport Service
Back