• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962, inner fender splash shield question...

icetech

Local time
10:35 PM
Reaction score
So, i finlly pulled my front clip off and there are big splash shields in front of the doors.. are those suppopsed to be removed before the fenders then put in once the fender is in place? I'm pretty sure that's correct want to make sure before i fight with them...
I also found what looked like weatherstrip foam in there, Is there a specific thickness i should look for? I assume tha'ts to keep it from rubbing/squeaking and such?
2023-04-13 19.11.31.jpg

I can't address the foam but, install the fenders and adjust them before the splash shields. That will let you set the shields to the contour of the fenders. The shields have large holes to vary placement and fender washers to cover the holes. Place the rubber seals facing the tire, both front and rear shields.
Mike
IMG_2743.JPG
IMG_2744 - Copy.JPG

I can't address the foam but, install the fenders and adjust them before the splash shields. That will let you set the shields to the contour of the fenders. The shields have large holes to vary placement and fender washers to cover the holes. Place the rubber seals facing the tire, both front and rear shields.
Mike
View attachment 1452573View attachment 1452574

Thanks mike, mine didn't have those seals.. will come up with something :)

Mine had the foam/weatherstripping along the edge of the splash shield. I sourced weatherstripping from the local hardware store and you are correct. It allows you to get the shield nice and snug without rubbing or squeaking. Get something around 3/4 of an inch think. Did you get the sponge foam block that goes in the top corner?redfury 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine had the foam/weatherstripping along the edge of the splash shield. I sourced weatherstripping from the local hardware store and you are correct. It allows you to get the shield nice and snug without rubbing or squeaking. Get something around 3/4 of an inch think. Did you get the sponge foam block that goes in the top corner?View attachment 1453021
Ahhh that explains it... i found the block on the floor.. had no idea where it went :) now i know

My 65 Belvedere was different. No foam and clip retained, molded rubber seals.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back