• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Plymouth 318 oil leak

belvyfever

Local time
4:55 AM
Reaction score
D547C760-ADDF-4816-B583-F0554EC67B89.jpeg
36857195-A577-4EC0-A93A-433A3227C1B5.jpeg
Doesn’t leak much when sitting (top photo)…the majority of the oil dripping is after I start it. What could be going on here? You can see oil flowing right at about 12:00…above filter (lower photo). It eventually makes its way down each side of the oil filter seal dripping off bottom of oil filter and also onto crossover pipe.

Last edited:
There is a gasket under that plate under the filter. Needs a new gasket.

Make sure the old rubber gasket came off with the old filter if not then you may have two gaskets on the filter. Always put a thin coat of oil on the seal when installing a new oil filter. Also make sure you have the right filter, it doesn’t look right.

Is this typical for 1962 poly 318? Never saw this before. Never had to change a gasket under “the plate”. So I take it I should drop oil snd unscrew filter….then what? How does this plate come off?

Make sure the old rubber gasket came off with the old filter if not then you may have two gaskets on the filter. Always put a thin coat of oil on the seal when installing a new oil filter. Also make sure you have the right filter, it doesn’t look right.

I just changed the oil. I bought this filter as per what I use on my 1964 plymouth 318 and 1969 dodge 318. The old seal definitely came off with oil filter. I made sure. Always check for that because I heard it happens…but never even once has that happened to me. Also, I always wipe/clean gasket mating surface with clean cloth before I screw on new filter and yes, with a bit of oil dabbed on all the way circumference of new gasket. Notice in lower photo how you can see oil flowing out of what looks like the upper of two gaps…in the bare metal surface area just larger than outer diameter of oil filter that’s showing. In upper photo notice there’s no oil flowing out of that same gap. Id like to believe first reply…although I’m not familiar with that type of leak. Please anyone, explain perhaps first few iterations of poly’s spin on oil filters. I know my 57-58 318 polys had oil canisters under there. Thanks all..

Last edited:
Being that the filters are fairly cheap I would remove the filter that is on the engine now and compare it either to the old filter or drain it and take it to a parts store to make sure you didn’t get a bad one. The filter should not be that far out from the mating surface, could it be cross threaded?

Fram PH8A is correct for old Mopars of the 1960s. I agree that the gasket behind the plate needs replacing.

@R413 is correct. I had the same problem with my Poly. Remove the filter and there is a 1” nut that holds on the cap/plate to the block. Remove the plate, there is a paper thin gasket between the block and plate. Replace it. You can find them
on the web. The new ones are thicker. Torque the nut back to about 35 ft pounds (I believe ). MAKE SURE ALL SURFACES ARE CLEAN AND FREE OF DEBRIS. I had a little crust on the block and the new seal/gasket would not seat causing it to leak.
If you want to PM me I can look up all the info and get it to you.
UPDATE: The OEM style are very thin and the Fel Pro fibre gasket replacement #70522 is "thick" and durable and will not crush or leak. The gasket can be found at any auto parts store.

IMG_1960.jpg IMG_1959.PNG

Last edited:
Filter stud gets tightened to 50 Ft/lbs on the small block.

Felpro 70522…got it. Thanks so much guys. I’m happy this leak is easily fixable. Can anyone tell me which 318’s this oil filter plate gasket applies to? My 57 and 58’s had canisters. Does my 64 Poly have the same? I’ve owned several LA 318’s..I know I never saw this type of leak with them. Thanks.

Thanks for the correction. I didn't remember exactly and my FSM wasn't handy. Good catch!
I took my manuals home, so I searched for it in 5 manuals until I found it in the '73. I knew it was 50, but just wanted to have confirmation. Another error is using the incorrect plate gasket. The outer circle ONLY is used with the steel plate, and the gasket with a center section is only used with the cast iron 90 degree adapter. If you use the latter gasket with the steel plate, it WILL leak as the outer circumference section will not compress the gasket.

Felpro 70522…got it. Thanks so much guys. I’m happy this leak is easily fixable. Can anyone tell me which 318’s this oil filter plate gasket applies to? My 57 and 58’s had canisters. Does my 64 Poly have the same? I’ve owned several LA 318’s..I know I never saw this type of leak with them. Thanks.
Fits Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth 273-360 Engines and POLYs with spin on filter.

I took my manuals home, so I searched for it in 5 manuals until I found it in the '73. I knew it was 50, but just wanted to have confirmation. Another error is using the incorrect plate gasket. The outer circle ONLY is used with the steel plate, and the gasket with a center section is only used with the cast iron 90 degree adapter. If you use the latter gasket with the steel plate, it WILL leak as the outer circumference section will not compress the gasket.
Another issue I have found is some of these gasket kits come with a small gasket, about the size of the nut. THROW IT OUT. I have no idea why some companies include it.

Just be aware, there are two different sizes of outer rings in full gasket sets. I don't think I have found out which one uses the larger ring either. The thicker cork center is used for the 90 degree adapter only.

thumbnail_IMG_1261.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1262.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1263.jpg

8FDC859A-2D5C-4931-BB09-015B2D5A4846.jpeg
04CB49CC-4977-440C-9CE1-9D2817C14AA3.jpeg
63D06833-CF65-473C-94AA-87E511037D76.jpeg

I removed filter and then removed center stud/nut. Here’s what I found. Looks different than photo previously posted. Does a 70522 Felpro look correct for mine? I ordered one will pick up tomorrow am. Thanks

The one I posted is a 90 degree adapter, and yours is not. I was only showing what used the other gasket parts as a reference. The gasket you ordered should be just fine. Make sure it (the gasket) fits the recess properly before you try to tighten things down.

The gasket goes between the block and the plate, I’m sure you know that. The threaded nut bolts it to the block.

0225A41A-75AB-4580-88F0-2F31685B1174.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back