1962 plymouth 318 poly

1962 - 1965 Mopars

1. billy

billy Member

Local Time:
    7:04 PM
    have a standard bore rebuilt poly....have a edelbrock manifold with 3-2bbl stroms. question: would like suggestions re: cam?, springs? lifters? Headers?. Shave heads? port and polish. I don't want to bore engine out. thank you

2. kikgas01

kikgas01 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    It is hard to find speed parts for them.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  3. 69 Runner

69 Runner ADMIN wif a corner office (Deceased - RIP)

Local Time:
    Port and polish is never a good idea for a driver

4. billy

billy Member

Local Time:
    Chris Nielson in Utah makes cams which I most likely will use along with 340 springs and lifters but mainly wondering about milling heads????? take care

5. 72Satellite440

72Satellite440 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:04 PM
  6. Polara Pat

Polara Pat Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    We've used these guys for a couple weird applications (turbo /6) and were really happy with their service and fair pricing. You need to have an idea of what sort of grind will work for you though. They also re-surface lifters and usually have a good selection of cores in stock so you can just bring one down to exchange when you pick up your new one.

http://deltacam.com/

My other suggestion would be to do a really good valve job and make sure your lash is set right since this is a solid lifter cam. This will also give you a chance to see if that standard bore is worth keeping.

7. Redpolara

Redpolara Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:04 AM
    As Pat said, a really good valve job, you could also consider cleaning up the bowl area of the heads.....it'll improve flow without screwing up air speed in the runners.......big isn't always better when it comes to porting.

8. Darter6

Darter6 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    If my thoughts are correct,, they came with 10 to 1 compression.Full floating wrist pins.Steel crank.Good stuff to start with. Egge also has some engine parts too. Just the intake change and dual exhaust really wakes them up. TTi makes headers, Expensive but they will be my next on my to get list.

9. Satellite65

Satellite65 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    You shouldn't have to bore the engine out unless there's an issue with the cylinder walls. a .030" overbore by itself will yield next to nothing as far as performance gains. Bowl work/porting will help but don't go too crazy and try to keep the intake sides rough. The exhaust can be as smooth as you want. Calculate the compression ration and try to stay around 9.5:1 for every-day pump gas use. Headers are always a plus. You can wake this motor up and make it fun to drive but just don't expect miracles, it's still only 318 cubic inches.

10. kdtjb

kdtjb Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:04 PM
    I thought I heard they can be stroked to about 390.

11. Darter6

Darter6 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Several years Mopar Muscle(I think) Did a story about a Dick Landy shop build of a poly that put out over 420+ HP. Try a search and see if it comes up.

12. Dangerous

Dangerous Member

Local Time:
    5:04 PM
    I'm on board with a good 3 angle valve job and only the minorest of porting, and deffinitely support the delta camshaft guys. I think most stroker goodies for a LA (318) would work, 408 is a popular number. 408 poly would be badass

13. billy

billy Member

Local Time:
    Thanks to all who replied......Gary Pavlovich has been a great wealth of info....ordering cam, springs, lifters.....tti headers, port and polish, 3x2's (stroms). Sould be awsome. will post pics of wagon , hopefully, early spring. Was going to do a colour change, now yellow/white roof, but, decided for to day, to stay original!?

14. 66 coronet

66 coronet Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Got a 318 poly in my 66, I milled the heads .060" did some mild porting and polishing particularly in the bowl area under the valve it can be really crude under there. lightened and polished the rockers. Got about 1000 miles on it now, runs great. I picked up a four barrel setup for it and will be dropping it on when i get a cam. Also isky and crane will grind a cam for this engine, check out their websites i will be shopping around as to what is out there before i order one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.