• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Plymouth Belvedere Unibody / Torsion Bar Problem

67Sat

Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
Was out cruising around in the Belvedere and hit a pot hole and drivers side front suspension went down after inspecting found this to be the problem ... Not knowing much about this system, I'm looking for advice on solutions to fix ? Is it a major project ?

Thanks in advance !

1962 1.jpg 1962.jpg

Unfortunately that is major structural failure of the torsion bar mount. You are going to need to replace that welded in cross member. It can be done but not easy. I have never had to do this myself but have seen this happen before. Hopefully someone who has experience in replacing the cross member can chime in with better advice.

You probably have much more rust problems throughout that car. May not be worth fixing

I had that happen with my '64 years ago. I ordered a rust free crossmember from Imperial Motors. and had my local body shop replace it. The can on the other side is likely not too far from failing as well. These torsion bar anchors are under constant strain, and when they get rusty, they just twist out, dropping the corner of the car.

Repair sections used to be available to repair this failure. More research is needed.
Mike

If that cross member is that rusty (and it's pretty rusty from the photo), then it's likely not isolated to just that area. I'd be checking the whole underside, floorpans, frame rails etc. How long have you had the car? It could need major work.

Do not drive !!! Have the suspension inspected by a reputable shop. Major rust/structure problems. Costly to repair and then what about the rest of the chassis/suspension ?

Thanks for the response. I am thinking about selling complete for parts car should I post in regular for sale or parts for sale

Auto Transport Service
Back