• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Door question

c.moo

Local time
2:04 PM
Reaction score
This is on a 1963 b body 2 door sedan , here's the question , driver door when shut has more then 3/8 back and forth movement , pass door very little movement , both doors has no door rubber bumpers and windlace removed , tried different striker adjustments and 2 different latches mech. but can't take the movement out of it seem like both would be the same , I know windlace and rubber bumpers will help , seem like door will rattle alot . Thanks

This is on a 1963 b body 2 door sedan , here's the question , driver door when shut has more then 3/8 back and forth movement , pass door very little movement , both doors has no door rubber bumpers and windlace removed , tried different striker adjustments and 2 different latches mech. but can't take the movement out of it seem like both would be the same , I know windlace and rubber bumpers will help , seem like door will rattle alot . Thanks
Hinge pins worn?

I'm thinking the 3/8" is the play in and out at the latch? If so the latch mechanism in the door has two positions. One click when you start closing the door and then a second click when fully closed. If it's adjusted too far in it only clicks on the first position. You need to have it where there's two distinctive clicks when closing slowly.

I'm thinking the 3/8" is the play in and out at the latch? If so the latch mechanism in the door has two positions. One click when you start closing the door and then a second click when fully closed. If it's adjusted too far in it only clicks on the first position. You need to have it where there's two distinctive clicks when closing slowly.
So move the striker out toward the outside , I will try that . Thanks , Let you know if it works , Thats the only thing i see that you can adjust .

I would measure the openings side to side. Possible the drivers front fender can be adjusted back to lessen the gap

I would measure the openings side to side. Possible the drivers front fender can be adjusted back to lessen the gap
Got front of fender line up with door , cowl ,lower rocker , gap closed when I put the old ori. windlace on but now the back bottom of door is kick out and top of back door fits flush with quarter panel , tried different adjustments , Damn it's been a bitch , pass. side no problems .

Did you ever get the problem sorted out?

Tom
Yes , The bottom rocker and where the floor goes together and where the windlace slips over had a bow in the middle of it , came like that from factory , had to slice door bottom to follow contour of it and weld back together , Fits go now with windlace and all . The way I found it was I shut door without windlace and found the gap between the door bottom and where windlace goes was wider at door ends and narrow in the middle , didn't want to cut rocker or floor , cut gap in bottom of door shell and and closed gap and welded back to fit. Door fits flush with fender and quarter and rocker now and inside is good to .

Auto Transport Service
Back