• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Fury push button issue

Dr. olds

Local time
9:12 AM
Reaction score
Hello. I need help. I have a 1963 fury with a 440 & assume a 727 torqueflight. when the car gets hot,(after 15 miles approx.) (not over heating hot) when I stop, the push button will not chg positions, it acts sticky like its not moving. if I shut the car off it will not start for about 30 min. I assume because the car is not in neutral & activating the safety switch. but after the 30 min the car will shift into neutral & start. I assume there is some sorta thermal expansion going on with the system? is it the cable? the shift mechanism in the dash? the safety switch in the trans? im at a loss here. thx for any help. Don.

Start with pulling the button assembly out far enough to clean the mechanism with the cables attached. Might get messy put plenty of rags down to cover the carpet. WD 40 works pretty good. Same problem with a 62 we had.Worked for us.

do you have headers or manifolds? make sure the shift cable is not rubbing on hot exhaust.

We also dig pictures if you would be kind enough to share that Texas hottie.

5.20.19 015.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to do that but I have new fone and no pix. I will take one this evening. It's a nice car. Stock appearing mostly. Sure don't want to make waves. I apologize. Don.

I took a pic of a pic of my 64 ss impala. 64,000 miles. 409 4spd. I'm the 3rd owner.
20191010_131228.jpg

Even with manifolds make sure the cable isn't making contact with the exhaust pipe. The outside of the cable housing is plastic and will melt making the cable inside stick.

I "think" its braided steel? No plastic sheath? Is mine aftermarket?

Lol. Yes sir. Right after slaving away in THE Helicopter factory.

I "think" its braided steel? No plastic sheath? Is mine aftermarket?

Nope, it's plastic. It will melt!

No comments. Good or bad on my car?

Had to step away for a bit. Looks real nice! Wait till you get a load of member's @383man s '63. Looks very similar. You can see by my avatar that I'm into the early "B" car.

Welcome aboard, you'll like it here. I'll try and post up the adjustment proceedures for the cable shift. But not till I get back from picking up a pizza that I ordered.

Nope, it's plastic. It will melt!

Had to step away for a bit. Looks real nice! Wait till you get a load of member's @383man s '63. Looks very similar. You can see by my avatar that I'm into the early "B" car.

Welcome aboard, you'll like it here. I'll try and post up the adjustment proceedures for the cable shift. But not till I get back from picking up a pizza that I ordered.
thanks

thanks to all yall. im a car guy, not loyal to one brand, I hope that don't piss nobody off. I feel all AMERICAN brands deserve love and have good & bad qualities. ive owned a lot of cars most all American brands. this is my second mopar. my other was a 69 dart slant 6. nice driver.

The cable needs to be tested to be certain it moves freely.!st thing though id to get the car in the air and see if the cable is melted or kinked anywhere.

The cable needs to be tested to be certain it moves freely.!st thing though id to get the car in the air and see if the cable is melted or kinked anywhere.
it moves really easy until it gets hot. then wham. no movement. ive only had the car about a year. horse trade. love the car. great lines, good looks. drives great.

Auto Transport Service
Back