• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Plymouth- cleaning convertible top hydralic system.

potze426

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1963 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible. I am at the point of reinstalling my power top system. (hydraulic hoses, top cylinders, and pump.) I want to flush or (clean) the hoses, cylinders, and pump reservoir. What kind of solution can I use without damaging anything. Also, should I use automatic transmission oil or hydraulic fluid. And last but not least, what is the procedure to charge the system. This information would be so helpful. Thanks, Tom.

At least on my '70 the manual calls for "Type A" transmission fluid. I'm using Dex/Merc transmission fluid. To flush, I guess just change the fluid out a few times...hope your carpet isn't in. From memory, you fill the pump/reservoir to the top of the fill plug, run the top up & down several times & repeat until bubbles are gone.

PurpleBeeper I am so grateful that you would take the time to help me through this. I have restored 3 cars so far and this one is the first convertible. The system is out of the car, so I don't have to worry about the carpet. One question. After I fill the reservoir to the top of the fill plug and run the top up and down, is it at this point the next step would be to crack the fill plug to check for bubbles? (air) and if you get no bubbles, just oil, then your good to go?

coloradodave, Thanks for taking the time to answer this post. This will be a great help. Thanks again. Tom.

Auto Transport Service
Back