1963 Polara door catch/latch

Exterior Body, Paint, Trim, Chrome

1. uk-maxie

uk-maxie Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:35 PM
    Hi all

We're having trouble getting our passenger door to close properly on our 63 Polara 500 :angry1:

Either the latch is completely knackered or it just needs a bit of adjusting - haven't quite worked that out yet, but I'd like to know if there's anyone selling new (or reconditioned?) parts for these older b-bodies?

The rotating mechanism has a little play in it but I wouldnt have said it was bad enough to stop the mechanism working completely. It does rotate when you try to rotate it by hand but when you close (or slam!) the door it's as if the mechanism doesn't rotate enough to engage.

We have tried adjusting it in the past with some improvement but now it just doesn't want to know, so we're having to keep that door closed and locked!

Any info would be greatly appreciated! :icon_thumleft:

Couple of pics:

(the manufacturers name on the latch is 'Hancock' in case you cant quite read it. And yes, this photo is of the LH door catch - we couldn't get a pic of the RH door as it's staying shut for now!)

P1120921_zps808268c2.gif

P1120922_zpsd5751da4.gif

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  2. Sixpaksteve

Sixpaksteve FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    8:35 AM
    Hi Maxie,

I've got a 64 Polara that I'm in the process of disassembling for restoration so your posting/question caught my eye. It could be that your door hinges need to be either adjusted or replaced in order for your door to align itself correctly with your latch once again.

I have a question..... If you close the door, does it line up properly height-wise with your 1/4 panel while at the same keeping an even gap down at your rocker panel? If you can't tell for sure, you might have to remove the door latch and stricker temporarily so that you door can close freely. If the door isn't lining up with your 1/4 panel lines or if you have an uneven gap along your door/rocker panel, then the door has likely 'sagged' over the years and the hinges will need to be adjusted to try and correct it.

3. uk-maxie

Local Time:
    Hi Steve, thanks for the quick reply!

That's a good point - I can see that the hinges might have an effect on how efficiently the door & latch closes. Thanks for the tip on removing the latch & striker, to see how well the door lines up with the adjacent panels, but until then, we should be able to see if there's excessive play in the hinge pins/bushes just by trying to lift the door at the latch-end when its open. Hopefully...

The door fitment (up, down in & out!) has never been particularly good in the 10 years we've had the car. And they've been harder to close since we fitted new rubbers about 5 years ago. So it's long overdue to get the latches and hinges sorted!

4. uk-maxie

Local Time:
  5. super-bee_ski

super-bee_ski FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    5:35 AM
    I'd bet it's the hinges....
    Its 52 years old.
    My 63 closes well...but ....

6. mr. b

mr. b Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:35 AM
    my doors on the 63 Plymouth were a bear to shut with new rubber I left it sit in the hot sun for a while with the doors shut and it got better now its not to bad

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.